Video Recording quality?Support

1. Missing_Link

Missing_Link Well-Known Member

I'm very interested in this phone but I am concerned because it only support 3gp video recording. Will this really be enough to record 1080p with stereo sound. The biggest letdown on the Desire was the poor frame rate and shocking sound of the video.

On the other hand, the Samsung Galaxy S2 looks to have better codec support. Don't want to lose HTC Sense but I can't cope with the poor video recording anymore... and it would be totally unacceptable on a next generation 4G phone.

Advertisement
  2. Missing_Link

Missing_Link Well-Known Member

That's a really good in-depth video for the picture quality - great find - thanks. I wonder how it performs in a really low-light / rapidly changing spectrum, like a gig for example?. Sound is always a nightmare to get on a phone at a gig IMHO. I don't tend to take videos that often as it's always a mess. Still, it's nice to capture a memory and I miss being able to do this with my Desire - it's just not worth it.

I am thinking about the Samsung S2 also but I really like the HTC Sense interface. Looks like it will be down to having a go in the shope when the time comes.
  3. PowerCosmic

PowerCosmic Well-Known Member

Have any smartphones been known to record well in low-light situations? Pocket digital cameras, even? This is a question I've never looked into, but I'm assuming (and this comes from my limited familiarity with photography) that the small lens on a smartphone lets in far less light than a lens on, say, a SLR camera.

I can post Review/preview videos I found on youtube in a separate thread as not to derail this one but I must agree that I haven't seen anything on the Galaxy S2 that makes it superior to the Sensation. In fact, I'm a little shocked that there isn't more information about the Sensation on phandroid or these forums; especially considering HTC has a full product page up already on the non-4G model which I can't imagine will be much different.
    HTC - Products - HTC Sensation ? Overview
  4. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon

For what it's worth - 3gp is just a file container - it's just a file type that doesn't really indicate the contents.

Expect the video to be encoded in H.264 but I've yet to hear if audio will be worthy and in AAC encoded - or if they'll continue with that inane AMR codec.

~~~~~

Solid info on the dual-core HTCs has been hard to come by.
  5. alnova1

alnova1 Well-Known Member

I just got mine and I am pleasantly surprised with the 1080 quality. Camera pics are good also.