Video Resolution

Last Updated:

1. Dicky

Dicky Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

hei guys....I've travelling soon and plan to bring some anime along to watch.

What is the max resolution of videos I can convert to?

I saw that the max resolution of the Desire is 480 x 800 but my video conversation software(any video converter) does not provide such an option.

I googled and read on somewhere else that its 720 x 480.

I am planning for MP4 format as I need to save space since my Desire only came with 2 gig and i want to maximize the amount of videos I can get.

Would MP4 be the best choice? or like WMV or 3GP?

Thanks for stopping by and taking a look and answering of course :)

Advertisement
  2. Dicky

I converted an anime to 720x480 but I couldn't read the subtitles guess i'll go lower and see :)

3. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

what format is it in now?

I watch my naruto avi's directly without converting.

4. gie62001

gie62001 Well-Known Member

from my previous post:
    http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/70981-official-android-2-2-discussion-17.html#post1220760
    maybe it will help.

what kind of program are you using to convert videos? as for me never had this issue if you conver with SUPER with right settings, e.g. like mine:
    1. microsoft zune (mp4) container 2. H264/AVC output codecc 3.AAC LC audio codec 5. video 720:480 video resolution 6. 16:9 aspect ratio 7. 29.97 fps 10. around 800-900 of bitrate in kbps and in options Hi Quality, 48K Audio are selected
    i leave audio at 44100 sampling frequency 2 channels and 96 kbps of bitrate.
    and then convert it :) for me never had out of sync issue, also you can play with settings to find the right one or depending on what videos are you watching you can just use Xvid player for android and avoid any conversions from xvids or dvixes :)
    hope it helps as i couldn't really understand the question

5. Dicky

lekky : I can sadly only find this anime in .mkv format and it's kinda large 1280 x 720. Off topic whats a good avi player? I'm using RockPlayer atm

gie62001 : I'm using Any Converter atm to convert my Videos. I converted with the below settings, Video : 720 x 480 Video Codec : x264 Video Bitrate : 768 Frame rate : 25.
    Audio : aac, Bitrate 128, sample rate 44100, Audio Channel 2

The anime plays fine, doesn't seem to be any lag really. What bugs me is that I can't see the subtitles unless i click the button to minimize the screen like make it slightly smaller. It seems that overall the video is too large :S or maybe the subs were badly added :confused:

6. gie62001

gie62001 Well-Known Member

hmm.. actually would need to try and do it myself to find a solution how to fit the subtitles correctly, but really don't have time right now
    but i assume best solution would be just to learn that language and the whole watching experience would be more enjoying (joking)
    anyway try maybe different program to conver your videos, and if you find any solution report back so people would get some knowledge
    thanx

7. Dicky

No biggie, i'll give your s/w a try and see if there's any difference. If not then i'll just convert to a smaller size heh :)
    hahha....I tried for a few months but decided to give it up :p
    Will be back tomorrow after doing some testing.

8. UKseagull

UKseagull Well-Known Member

9. liquidmonkey

liquidmonkey Well-Known Member

if its a dvdrip, no need to convert.
    rockplayer allows 3 different modes when watching so by pressing the fullscreen button you can stretch it, fit it, of fill the screen.

if you have 720 or 1080 files just find a dvdrip and 'buy' it ;)

10. Dicky

Thanks for the feedback guys...i'll check out handbrake.

I've tried Super but the subtitles did not even appear.

The more i look at the video the more it seems to me that the source file .mkv is not proper. The subtitles appear beneath the video and not on the video like normal. Which is probably why when i full screen the show the subs get cut off.

I'll live with watching it slightly smaller, the default player has a button to slightly shrink the video.

UKseagull : Thanks, I'll give this a try and see
    liquidmonkey : Thanks for the tip, am converting .mkvs so will do it slowly :)