Video sound quality??Support

Last Updated:

1. drmull

drmull Member This Topic's Starter

The Evo's video sound quality is amazingly terrible - which begs the question...can it be improved or are we stuck with unusable "hi-def" video?? I'm looking for why it's so bad. Codec/bitrate/compression issues or what? Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. Hi Ho

Hi Ho Active Member

The audio quality is absolutely terrible and unacceptable. I investigated this a while back:

Audio quality when taking video... Here's why it sucks

That was before the Froyo 2.2 update. The update seems to have changed nothing in regards to the audio quality, very disappointing. I do not understand why HTC decided that using an audio codec far worse than the worst MP3s was a good idea.

The mic can record very good quality audio. Download TapeMachine Free in the market and you can hear what it can do.

Olivier likes this.
  3. drmull

drmull Member This Topic's Starter

Interesting. So if it's a codec/bitrate issue, are they simply doing anything they can to keep the file size down?? If so, why not give us a choice? Frustrating...I don't even show my phone videos to friends because the audio is so embarrassing. Very frustrating. Stupid question - sorry - but could you install a better codec yourself in a rooted phone or is it way beyond that?

Sorry - just read your link. Hope it's not too long before someone tweaks the software! I'll keep watching.

4. Lokire

Lokire Active Member

Seriously. Audio quality on videos is just awful. I bought the TapeMachine app and the audio quality I get with that is amazing! Suprised the hell outta me :p. High quality, super clear, and balanced.

Olivier likes this.
  5. Lokire

Lokire Active Member

You know...TapeMachine will run in the background - next time I record a video with my EVO, I'll try running both at the same time, and see if I can splice the video together with TapeMachine's audio to get a decent combo. It's a pain, but it would get better results if you can get the two to sync up.

6. Olivier

Olivier Member

Hello guys,

I am the developer of TapeMachine, I just found this thread, it's a pleasure to read, thanks :)

Wow, that's an interesting experiment, please tell how that works, I'll follow this thread.