1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

video streaming quality poor? help.Support

1. jon25rs

jon25rs New Member

I'm a new android user and just bought an LG Optimus G. I've noticed that when I'm on WiFi my video quality is truly HQ on YouTube but on my cellular network the HQ is not very "HQ". Also when I watch videos on Netflix or hulu and even some videos though other apps such as ign, the quality is still pretty poor. Now I briefly tried a lumia 920 and the quality of videos I watched were all super high no matter if I was on WiFi or my cellular network. So my question is, is there a setting or a way to change my video quality somewhere? Thanks in advance and sorry if this has been covered before.a

Advertisement
    :
  2. alsaces daddy

alsaces daddy Well-Known Member

The quality is based on the connection you have with the servers. With WiFi on this phone you have probably between 15 and 25 mob download speed. Depending on if you have 3g or 4g lte your speeds will vary from 800kbs to 6 MBS so it all varies.

This is the reason they incorporated the auto search for your WiFi. It wants you to have the best connection possible for rapid streaming. So far I haven't found an adjustment for the stream speeds for our phone because like you I am new to it also.

If you need any more help let me know.
  3. jon25rs

jon25rs New Member

I get this, but I'd much rather wait and let it buffer for a higher quality video. It seems even when my cellular service is at 8mbps its still in a lower quality and I know that's fast enough to stream an hd video.
  4. alsaces daddy

I don't have 4g where I am so those speeds are incredible compared to where I am. But this is all I know based off first hand experience. Maybe someone else can shed more light on this for you. I'm sorry.
  5. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ± Moderator

Hello jon25rs!
    Your best video will always be via wifi as you have found out.
    However, without wifi, there are alot of variables that will affect the signal, therefore, the quality of the video.
    Basically what AD had to say, I would concur.

The lumina phone you tried may have been on 4g whereas yours was on 3g or lower?
    I am not familiar with either device, but both devices probably have different radios/antennae affecting reception on 4g also.
    alsaces daddy likes this.
  6. alsaces daddy

I don't know about the lumina but we have 4g lte and 3g. Which is why I said both.

I've looked today and haven't been able to find a setting so all I can suggest is what mike and I already have. I'm sorry.
  7. jon25rs

jon25rs New Member

I'm always on 4g and a lot of the time on lte. I just don't understand why there wouldn't be a setting to switch to "always HQ" even if the video has to buffer. I get great speeds almost always in my area. Why have a huge beautiful screen if I can't use it to its fullest potential.
  8. thunder18

thunder18 Well-Known Member

In the Youtube app, click Menu, Settings, General and the first checkbox option is for "High quality on mobile" which allows it to stream the high quality stream outside of a wifi connection.
  9. jon25rs

jon25rs New Member

I have this boxed checked and even though the video is streaming in high quality, the quality still isn't as high as what it was through the wifi.