Video taken on phone won't play on PC

Last Updated:

1. markdrsb

markdrsb New Member This Topic's Starter

Hey all, here is the problem I am having:

I take videos on the HTC Hero, connect the phone to PC, then drag videos from phone to desktop. They come out as .3gp files.

When I try to play them back, each program either crashes (Quicktime, VLC), or tells me that it cannot playback this type of codec (Windows Media Player).

The videos playback fine on the phone, just not when I bring them over to my PC.

I am running Android 2.1 and Vista. Any help is appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. markdrsb

Update:

I put the video files on my Macbook, and they play fine with Quicktime, but the video files still crash Quicktime and VLC on my Vista PC. Any idea on why that would be?

3. markdrsb

Update:

Aaaaand, a restart of the PC fixed the issue. Crazy how that almost always works.

4. DonB

DonB ♡ Spidey Sense !! ♡ ™ Moderator

Glad to see your answering your own questions, LOL glad you got it working

5. V425

V425 Well-Known Member

Hmm I actually tried this too, I wanted to send a video to my boyfriend in Iraq so I emailed it to myself first to see if it would play, and it wouldn't so I just thought it wasn't possible.

6. Syphon

Syphon Well-Known Member

You need something that plays .3gp files. Quicktime plays these. Also VLC plays them too. See if that is your problem.

7. V425

V425 Well-Known Member

I was trying on my work computer so I'm not sure if it has Quicktime or not. Although it doesn't matter so much if I'm able to watch the video since I want to send it to someone else, so it just matters if they would have a program to view it with, and that I don't know.

8. Little Darwin

Little Darwin Well-Known Member

Send the videos. If your boyfriend really wants to see them, he'll find a way, either by himself or with help.

Also, you could try finding a program to process the video (a converter) and saving it to send it in a more widely supported format.