• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

video: Watchmaker Live Wallpaper (and workaround to make it more like a widget)

electricpete

Android Expert
Jan 7, 2012
I made a video showing Watchmaker Live Wallpaper which I think is pretty cool

Pro's for the Watchmaker Live Wallpaper app (paid)
- It uses the exact same watchfaces you have already downloaded for your watch (in the regular Watchmaker app)
- The interactive functions of the watchface still work when it's on the phone.
- Simple interface of the app itself.

Con's
- The watchfaces on the phone do not properly populate the watch battery level.
- Preliminary indications... the wallpaper app is using substantial battery... about one quarter of what my screen is using. May depend on the watchface...I'll keep an eye on this.
- I had one watchface that just "went away". I'm not sure whether it thought it was on a watch timing out or what... double tap and select a different watchface fixed it.
- It's a live wallpaper (shows on every screen), I'd rather have a widget (that shows only on one screen). More below...

The 2nd half of the video shows a "workaround" that I used to make it act more like a widget.
-Used Nova launcher, with settings adjusted to allow overlaps of widgets.
- Created plain black widgets (using Zoom widgets) and put them over the position of the watchface on every screen except one (that one is where the watchface will show through).
- Added my normal icons / widgets back on top of the black widgets.

Some minor problems with my approach:
- a little clunky to set up
- when you swipe between screens you can see a little bit of the watchface.
- you have make sure you leave blank space somewhere on your screen not covered by the widget (I left blank space at the bottom) That way you have somewhere to long-press to access the true Nova homescreen for pulling up widgets/settings (if you long-press on the black widget you'd just get the resize/delete menu).
- When you adjust your settings in Nova to allow overlap, you can no longer drag apps into folders on the homescreen (it just puts them on top of the folder). So you'll have to change your settings back or figure out another way to manage your folders.

It's not perfect but I like it.

Last edited:
Reactions: estubby

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones