Videos from EVO to PCSupport

Last Updated:

1. nutthouse

nutthouse New Member This Topic's Starter

When I connect my EVO to my computer and open the drive, I can find pictures I have taken, but cannot find videos. How can I transfer the videos I've made from the Evo to my PC? Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. Dangerboy

Dangerboy Well-Known Member

they are in the same folder as your pictures. They wont play on windows media so they will show up as unknown files unless you have a compatible software to play them.

Quicktime plays them so if you dont have it, download it and they should show up as video files.

nutthouse likes this.
  3. salpiche

salpiche Well-Known Member

nutthouse likes this.
  4. Jordus

Jordus Well-Known Member

they play fine on windows 7. I dont think i have any other codecs installed besides stock.

nutthouse likes this.
  5. Vincent Law

Vincent Law Well-Known Member

You have to have Quicktime installed, and play them in Quicktime. Otherwise you won't hear audio.

VLC does NOT support the audio codec except in the latest release candidate, and even then it sounds like a pack of hyenas instead of the actual audio.

nutthouse likes this.
  6. Jordus

Jordus Well-Known Member

There is nothing Apple on my work windows 7 laptop. I just took a video, plugged the phone in. It says its a 3GPP video/audio file. I can watch the file and hear the audio without a problem in Windows Media Player.

nutthouse likes this.
  7. Jordus

Jordus Well-Known Member

Probably worth noting that the sound is extremely low, though.

nutthouse likes this.
  8. Vincent Law

Vincent Law Well-Known Member

Then your work laptop had some AMR codec installed, because Windows 7 does not come with it.

It will play, and act like there is audio, but there is no sound.

nutthouse likes this.
  9. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

As already mentioned, look under the DCIM folder on your sdcard, same sub-folder as your pictures if you used the Camera app and just switched it over to video from stills.

The file extension is 3bp - it's a popular container for MPEG-4 Part 2 and H.263 media on many cell phones.

Convert them to whatever format (container/codec) you like by using the free MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows. I've used it for years, works great.

Convert the file to a .mp4 or whatever other works for you for sharing and enjoying.

It, too, requires QuickTime.

If you're on a Mac, then get most all additional codecs by also installing http://perian.org/.

I'm looking up a similar codec pak in Windows. Used to have one when I used Win for media, can't recall the name right off.

PS - for Windows, try this: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/wmcomponents.mspx

It'll get you what you need to get to .mp4, and I _believe_ it'll also get you to .wmv files.

A lot of the codec conversions revolve around QuickTime because it is the grandfather of all media engines for small computers.

I'm sure you might find something similar to MPEG Streamclip in the Windows world without QuickTime - but I only recommend what I've used so somebuddy else will have to speak to other methods.

nutthouse likes this.
  10. nutthouse

nutthouse New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the info, I was just looking in the wrong place.

11. smitstone

smitstone New Member

I can play the videos but they come in with no sound
    they play with sound on phone but not on PC
    I believe on phone they come in as MPG4 but on PC as 3GPP Audio/Video(3gp)

12. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Welcome to the forums!

Yep, for whatever reason, you're missing the audio codec on your PC for AMR encoded audio. The 3gpp is a container, with video using one codec (MPEG4 for example) and the audio using another (AMR).

Your easiest solution is to download and use VLC on your PC, it should allow you to see and hear your Evo movies.

Hope this helps!