• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Videos in Gallery not Playing and File Size 0

ccle

Lurker
Sep 14, 2016
Hi,

I have an original Moto X and I have just realized a problem. I use my Amazon prime account to back-up photos, but I don't pay extra for the video back-up. I usually just copy videos to my computer ponce a week or so as a way to back them up. I just tried to do so for a couple videos I took a few days ago and the videos are now appearing with a file size of zero and they are getting an "unable to play" error. Also, the photos from that day are missing. They are all safely backed up, so that is not a big deal, but I am not sure if there is anything I can do about the videos.

From the googling I have done so far, it seems like I would have to buy some software and two videos are not worth paying for. They were of my daughter opening a couple birthday presents from relatives and I would like to send it to them so they can see her, but they will survive if there is no way to recover them.

As a side note: my phone is essentially falling apart, the touch screen regularly stops working and the only way to get it back online is to whack it and restart the phone (it doesn't start working again if I don't whack it - my husband suggested there may be a loose connection in there, but he really only works with computers, not phones). It also restarts itself about 3-7 times a day for no apparent reason. This has been happening since April - I have looked for solutions to both of those problems to no avail and at this point I am just waiting until I can upgrade my phone in mid-October. However, in case this is pertinent information to this problem, I wanted to put it out there.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would be happy to try them.

Thanks!

It's possible that the video/photo problem is due to an issue with something in the camera hardware, or even a failure in trying to store the files to your phone's storage.

I agree with Thom - try a wipe cache partition. Here are the instructions for that: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/94946/p/30,6720,8696

Then I'd try taking a couple of photos and see if they show up in the gallery/Amazon Drive/can be copied to a computer. Then try the same with videos.

If that doesn't work, maybe doing a factory data reset and start the phone over from scratch, reinstalling all of your apps, etc.?

You're so close to getting another phone - otherwise I might suggest buying an inexpensive replacement phone and move the SIM card from your Moto X to it until you get another. I'm not sure who your carrier is, but, if you are in the US, Amazon has really inexpensive phones that work on any carrier at the moment. The BLU R1 16 GB with lock screen ads is $59. See https://www.amazon.com/unlocked-cell-phones/ if you are interested in going that direction.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help. I wiped the cache partition as instructed. I have factory reset my phone several times over the last month and it has never fixed my other problems. My videos are still not playing, but I didn't really expect this to recover the lost data. New photos and videos I took before I realized those ones were mysteriously deleted were still there and new photos I have taken since seem to be saving just fine.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones