1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

View Two Things at Once (Browser and Email)Support

1. kmoneylongshanks

kmoneylongshanks Active Member

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about picking up the Xoom Wifi version when it comes out to replace my laptop, but I need to know if I can view two things at once on the screen. I do a lot of writing for my job, and I need to be able to view a webpage on one side of the screen and have apps 2 go or some kind of word processor on the other side. Is this possible with the Xoom and does anyone have any proof? I've heard two different people say two different things about this. Thanks.

Advertisement
    :
  2. androidguy65

androidguy65 Well-Known Member

You can't do it natively but there might be a work around
  3. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator

i've not seen it done nor have i read anything to where anyone has done this.

that said, there would have to be a program to facilitate this, because in essence you will have two apps working in the foreground (as opposed to foregroud/background) and both needing ram and processing power at the same time. the infrastructure is there i believe but i do not think you can do this natively.
  4. papermonkey01

papermonkey01 Well-Known Member

It should be possible with the native "fragments" structure they built into it. Something like what Pulse does.
  5. clb2196

clb2196 Well-Known Member

I'd be interested in this as well.

I do like that you at least have the recent apps popup, which does make it very easy to switch between windows if you're copying from one place to another or whatever.
  6. kmoneylongshanks

kmoneylongshanks Active Member

Hmm. I may not be getting a Xoom then. I need to be able to write articles as I'm looking at source information and it looks like that isn't going to be happening any time soon. Thanks for the input guys.
  7. Cincybearcatfan

Cincybearcatfan Well-Known Member

With the speed of switching from app to app, I can't see me ever needing to do that. Simply by hitting the button at the bottom and selecting the app I want is quick enough.
  8. clb2196

clb2196 Well-Known Member

Quick yes, but if you're trying to read from one thing while you type on the other, quick doesn't solve the problem. I suspect we may soon see an app for this, I did some Googling and sounds like quite a few people are asking for it.
  9. El Blacksheep

El Blacksheep Well-Known Member

some no-name company showed a tech demo of a windowed android tablet, where apps run in windows simultaneously.

also, most of the dual-screen android phones/tablets allow having 2 things running at once.
  10. papermonkey01

Or just buy two tablets
  11. TPadden

TPadden Member

Funny you should mention that; I often use my Droid2 and Xoom for "windows" :D.
  12. papermonkey01

I do it all the time with my EVO, and i'll probably be picking up an iPad 2 (if they ever ship any). BOOM two screens.
  13. xxcastxx

xxcastxx New Member

Haha, yeah. I use my iphone the same way. It's boot but it works lol.