Viewing AndroidManifest.xml in an existing APK

Last Updated:

1. DaveInNYC

DaveInNYC Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I was curious to look at the AndroidMaifest.xml in the stock apps on my Droid, so I used a simple zip program to open up the APK. This gave me no problems, but when I viewed the manifest; it was garbled, as it if it were a binary file. When an APK is created, is the manifest converted to some type of binary file, even though it still has the "xml" suffix?

Advertisement
  2. sixpack

sixpack Active Member

I tried to view one as well but couldn't get anything except giberish. But from looking around I think that you might need a java developer software of some kind. Try Eclipse, looks like it might be able to read the files. Post back what you figure out, you have me curious now too. Eclipse.org home

3. DaveInNYC

Yeah, I have the developer tools (Eclipse, ADT, etc). Didn't see anything in there that would help. The APK file is just a ZIP/JAR, so the unpacking was no problem; it is just that the individual "XML" file seems like a binary of some sort.

4. sixpack

sixpack Active Member

5. DaveInNYC

6. DaveInNYC

FWIW, built this and it works PERFECTLY. Just runs on the handset, but you can save to the SD card. I'm going to modify it to allow you to send it via email a an exercise (I am just starting Android development, and find altering existing programs a great way to learn new platforms).

Related tools can be found at https://www.isecpartners.com/mobile_application_tools.html.

7. sixpack

sixpack Active Member

Good luck with the developing, thanks for the info will try this out to play around.