Views on the custom recoveries available?

Last Updated: 2013-01-13 20:50:14
  1. saltire

saltire VIP Member VIP Member

Before I root my new toy I'd appreciate some feedback on the custom recoveries available for the N7. Not new to rooting phones (this is my first tab :)), but have had a couple of annoying/bad experiences with custom recoveries on my old Desire (until 4Ext Recovery came along), as well as versions of TWRP & CWM on my SGS3. So would appreciate any thoughts and feedback on which is/are most stable, and restore backups successfully. Ta

Advertisement
  2. n4zty

n4zty Well-Known Member

Twrp is my choice for several reason but obvious reason is be able to flash more than one zip at a time also alot more options than cwm.
    Rxpert83 and saltire like this.
  3. Teknologic

Teknologic Well-Known Member

Vouching for twrp too, same reasons and it's lean and mean. Meaning it's more recent and seems to be more stable, less abundant code. But that's just an assumption.
  4. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

Add another vote for TWRP here too. Use it on both my phones so it was a no brainer for the tab and it's not disappointed me yet.
  5. blaze420916

blaze420916 Well-Known Member

Never used twrp until the other day when getting my n7, things a beast. I love it.
  6. saltire

saltire VIP Member VIP Member

cheers folks - will give TWRP a go first
  7. h4x0rj3ff

h4x0rj3ff Chemist

ive never used twrp ive always used cwm touch. i might be set in my ways tho...
  8. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

I was loyal to CWM for quite a long time, but TWRP is by far the more efficient recovery. The ability to queue up to 10 zips for flashing, combined with providing a keyboard in recovery for the naming of nandroids just makes it superior at this point.
  9. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

I will always use and suggest TWRP when available, and this device is no different
  10. viper689

viper689 Well-Known Member

TWRP ftw
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  11. h4x0rj3ff

h4x0rj3ff Chemist

Does twrp work with the cm updater in cm nightlies?
  12. El Presidente

Yep, flawlessly. :)
    h4x0rj3ff likes this.
  13. h4x0rj3ff

h4x0rj3ff Chemist

Rxpert83 likes this.
  14. El Presidente

It doesn't backup though so make sure you have a working nandroid in case it goes awry.

Sorry, should've mentioned that before. :eek:
  15. h4x0rj3ff

h4x0rj3ff Chemist

So I have to use wugs to flash it? I can't find a thread where I can get the recovery file and flash it with flashui I think its called.
  16. El Presidente

http://www.teamw.in/project/twrp2/103

There you go, I think you could download and flash via goo manager on Play too.
    h4x0rj3ff likes this.
  17. h4x0rj3ff

h4x0rj3ff Chemist

Just flashed it over it has a really low res old school feel too it... Reminds me of the old dos games... I'm gonna play with it for a few days and see how I like it :)
    Rxpert83 and El Presidente like this.
  18. El Presidente

Let us know how you get on with it. :)
  19. n4zty

n4zty Well-Known Member

If u download goo manager and select flash rom it will ask you if u want to install twrp first and if u select yes it will download it and install it for you.
    h4x0rj3ff likes this.
  20. h4x0rj3ff

h4x0rj3ff Chemist

I flashed it with flash image GUI with the link provided above from elpresidente
  21. h4x0rj3ff

h4x0rj3ff Chemist

So I ran it for a few days and I decided that its a really nice recovery and I would definitely recommend it to anyone but it needs to be polished better like cwm is. It looks old school. For what I use it for I like the looks of cwm better. Sorry guys had to flash back to cwm touch.
  22. Rxpert83

Can you expand on that?

As far as the last time I used cwm, twrp offers much more as far as functionality compared to its cwm counterpart. Yes the ui is designed for phones rather than tablets, but I'll take functionality over looks anyday.

I'd like to hear what you'd improve on.
  23. h4x0rj3ff

h4x0rj3ff Chemist

What I use it for on a daily basis is to flash the updates for cm nightlies. That's it. I don't need to flash over 10 files at once. Now on my phone I think theres a twrp that I might use more but with me using it for a specific purpose and that purpose only I don't need all the other options. So it comes down to looks and cwm has twrp beat in cosmetics hands down. It looks "cooler" when you show it off ya know? Lol twrp is great like I said above but it just needs to new a little more polished before I'll switch for good. Plus I payed (donated) for cwm touch so I might as well use it ya know lol.
    El Presidente and Rxpert83 like this.
  24. Rxpert83

Differing views on what's important then. Thanks for getting back to me :)

After all, thats why options are out there.
    h4x0rj3ff likes this.
  25. El Presidente

Burn the heretic!!! :p

Fair comment, you've got to go with what works for you. :)