Villain 5.4 and Google Maps

Last Updated:

1. rb1703

rb1703 Member This Topic's Starter

Dec 12, 2009
    I'm running Villain 5.4 which is brilliant, however I've noticed that the battery like was pitiful compared to the stock HTC 1.5 ROM that I had been using.

I was basically getting less than 6 hours of life on a charge, with ninimal use.

Having looked at the battery consumpting, I found that 91% of the battery usage was coming from Google Maps. Even going in to Advanced Task Manager and stopping it didn't seem to stop it draining the battery.

I have now uninstalled Google Maps, which seems to have solved the battery drain issue, and i'm getting a somewhere near normal day's use from a single charge.

Is this a known issue with this ROM, and if not, does anyone have any ideas how I might go about fixing it, as I'd really like to be able to use Google Maps!

2. Drazil

Drazil Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2010
    I've also noticed the battery life is terrible now, but it's not a constant drain. It can go from 100% charge in the morning and over 8 hours with wifi turned on drain down to 80%. The only apps used during that period are dolphin for some websurfing, and touchdown for email. Then when I get home, I'll play a about 20 mins of Homerun Battle 3D and in that time, the battery goes from 80% down to 30-40%. Then the phone sits idle for a couple hours and the alarm will go off indicating only 15% power left. If I ignore that and just leave it sitting idle, an hour later I'll get another alarm that the remaining power is critical.

That scenario has been repeated for the past week since I've flashed the villain 5.4 rom. I'm currently on 5.4.4.

I have to say though that 2.1 is a lot better than 1.5 and I'm finding it very hard to convince myself to go back.
  3. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Dec 1, 2009
    Battery drain has nothing to do with the apps running in this case, it's do to with the kernel all the ROMs use. From what I've read it's far from release-ready, so once we get the actual 2.1 release battery life should get back to normal.