Villain 5.5 - Overwrite or Wipe

Last Updated:

1. _MarkC

_MarkC Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Am I right in thinking that I can download the zip for 5.5 onto my SD card and flash that from my recovery menu if I am running 5.3? Or is there some reason I would need to wipe 5.3 before flashing?

The benefits of overwriting (from what I understand) would be that many of my existing settings, apps etc would still be intact.

Has anyone simply overflashed 5.5 onto 5.3 perhaps? Just wondering if anything untoward happened before I risk doing something really bad to my toy!

Advertisement
  2. Jaffa

Jaffa Well-Known Member

No wipe required, flash away, I needed to clear HTC sense cache and reboot to get all the widgets back after I had flashed..

_MarkC likes this.
  3. _MarkC

OK, thanks...here goes nothing...

4. mgillespie

mgillespie Well-Known Member

Interested to hear your observations of the differences, as I am running Villian 5.3, and held of updating to 5.4 and 5.5 due to the alarming number of reported bugs.

I have a pretty stable phone right now on 5.3, with only the usual quirks (MMS message chopping etc), and don't really want to introduce new problem when a HTC official release might be just around the corner.

5. _MarkC

Well, it's on hold. For some reason, I cannot boot into the recovery menu. Damn technology! Dammit! Home and Power buttons my arse...freezes on the Hero logo.

6. _MarkC

OK - the reason I could not reboot into recovery was because I had ROM Manager installed and I'd selected Clockwork Mod recovery as the option. I reselected RA recovery, rebooted, was able to reflash over the original 5.3 and voila.

I did need to clear the HTC cache as pointed out earlier and now have a fully useable system which seems to have fewer bugs and seems faster. Battery life seems to be about the same.

Very happy with 5.5 overall.

7. mgillespie

mgillespie Well-Known Member

I had 5.3 and tried an overwrite this evening, it ended up in a mess with allsorts of weird problems.

I ended up wiping and it's all working.

Whilst some claim that you can overwrite, I think different...

8. james

james Well-Known Member

Overwriting worked fine for me as well, from 5.22. Had to do the cache wipe as well.