Villain MyTouch Slide Rom

Last Updated:

1. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator This Topic's Starter

Villain has released (yet another) new ROM, a port from the MyTouch Slide phone. I've never heard of it my self but I think I'll have to give it a try; why else would god have invented the nandroid backup? :p

Advertisement
  2. andy d

andy d Well-Known Member

Let us know how you get on.

3. Xyro

I tried it but I didn't really like it. It runs htc sense but not quite as we know it; it has a slightly different layout and can change themes on the fly (Although it crashed every time I did this). It also had a menu for something I've forgotten the name of, but it looked like it gave you ability to switch volume settings/screen layouts and so on all at once. Kind of like the 'Scenes' option on the hero but a bit more complex. The phone and app buttons at the bottom of the screen have switched places, which I always thought makes more sense, and the little sliding icon to tell you which screen you're on has moved to the top of the screen. It also has the horrible apps menu from the earlier 2.x releases. It performed pretty much the same as any other 2.x ROM, although I didn't try it long enough to see how good the battery life was.

So even though I didn't try it for long and it's only the very first release, I don't think it's for me.

tojjer and bluenova like this.
  4. andy d

andy d Well-Known Member

I think i shall stay with 5.3
    If only i could get this MMS sorted out i would be happy.

5. Jaffa

Jaffa Well-Known Member

Miines fixed check my Guide... If your on Orange that is... Should be the same for other networks, you just need the right settings

6. themonkster

themonkster Well-Known Member

Cheers xtiro saves me a job.

I'm sticking to villain and the new update app is the nuts....

7. Xyro

I tried SlideVillain again yesterday and I don't know whether I'm imagining it, but it seems a lot better. Then again, my version of 5.5 was being awfully sluggish for some reason. Downloading things from the market took forever and always failed.

Battery life seems similar to 5.5, but it does seem to be pretty dam quick. Boot up is quick too. The devs over at Villain have removed all the pink icons and those ugly bubbles around apps, so it's not majority different from the Hero's version of sense now. The only bugs so far have been 1) all my HTC widgets were missing, but you just have to clear the HTC sense data and the come back. And 2) I can't set a lock screen.

But overall, I think using SlideVillain feels much less like being a beta tester than using 5.5 :p

8. phillevy

phillevy Well-Known Member

Does it still have the split message bug?

9. rustynuts

rustynuts Well-Known Member

I haven't tried this yet currently on stickmams espresso Rom which I think is based on the same thing I could be wrong though. I must say its pretty slick there's a few bugs but they are being ironed out as we speak.

10. Xyro

Yeah it's the same base as Stickman's I think

phillevy, what is that bug specifically? I don't know if I've ever experienced it.

11. rustynuts

rustynuts Well-Known Member

From what I can gather if you sent a long text it split it into 2 or 3 messages

12. 02keilj

02keilj Well-Known Member

I think this happens when a rom is based on a CDMA rom and ported to GSM.
    I dont know if this rom is a CDMA one, maybe someone who is running the rom send yourself a text that it longer than 160 chars and let us know how it goes

13. m4rk

m4rk Member

I'm under the impression this is a GSM rom. At least stickmans espresso is and apparently this is based on the same leak...

14. Xyro