• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Virgin Mobile 4.4.2 Upgrade

storageman

Jan 12, 2012
Earlier this week my GIII got a message about upgrading to 4.4.2. I accepted the OTA upgrade and its been running just great. Today I receive a text message from Virgin Mobil stating:

After upgrading Android KitKat, Galaxy S3 users must reset their phone by pressing ##72786# Contacts, pics, text, & purchased content should remain.

So has anybody else received this message ?

I upgraded through Kies about 2 weeks ago, and received the same text today. My phone has been running fine since the upgrade as well. When I upgraded through Kies, it did a reset automatically. Has anyone done ##72786# yet, and if so, were there any problems after doing that?

I had to use ##72786# to regain my data access after the KitKat update (actually a day after - data disappeared once my phone had powered off and back on). It didn't change anything other than refreshing the network connection. It's the same code I've had to use before when a phone was having network issues.

Upvote 0
Over on VM's Facebook page, there were / are a lot of people that did the OTA upgrade on their S3's and it caused them to lose 3g and 4G. For some, doing a profile and PRL update took care of the issue and when that didn't work, most dialed ##72786# and that resolved the issues...

After I posted, I remembered that happened to me about a week after I upgraded, so I was thinking that might be the issue. When I was having the issue, I updated the PRL & profile, but that didn't work. I saw posts from VM saying to make sure the phone is set to LTE/CDMA. When I checked mine, it was set correctly, but I changed the Mobile data network setting to CDMA, rebooted, changed it back to LTE/CDMA rebooted and it has been fine since.

Upvote 0
Now this strange, because my data was working with either 3g or 4g after the update.

After I posted my question, I wanted to do just a PRL update. They just put a new cell tower in at the end of my street and wanted to see if my signal got better. I attempted to do the PRL update and came back and said - Function not available. Now I've don PRL updates in the past with problems. The only thing that changed was 4.4.2. So I did the ## codes and it took like 7 attempts to get the phone re-registered. But once it did everything seems to be fine other than - It nolonger at power up, plays that funky song and there is a new app that was installed called "Mobile Zone". It doesn't work Error is "Mobile Zone has Stopped". Did some research and its some thing from sprint.

????

Upvote 0
I don't have an S3, but from what I have read, Mobile Zone replaced the the VM app that you could view your account pay your bill with, etc...A few people reported that by doing just a profile update and then restarting the phone, it fixed the same issue you are describing. Worth a shot...(On Sprint phones, it's called Sprint Zone. Some had the same issue's after the KitKat update, name changed to Mobile Zone and the app not working)

Upvote 0
How do you do a PRL & Profile update? Can someone explain the necessary steps for each?

My wife's phone has been working fine since doing the OTA update last week, but as of yesterday she has no data connection. Seems like she might be having the same problem. Don't know if she got a VM message or not, but I'll find out when she gets home from work tonight.

Upvote 0
How do you do a PRL & Profile update? Can someone explain the necessary steps for each?

My wife's phone has been working fine since doing the OTA update last week, but as of yesterday she has no data connection. Seems like she might be having the same problem. Don't know if she got a VM message or not, but I'll find out when she gets home from work tonight.

My issues started about a week after as well. Go to Settings, More, System Update and you will see the options for all the updates including PRL & Profile.

Also, make sure the mobile network setting is set to LTE/CDMA. If it is as mine was, as there still is no data, you can try what worked for me, which was to change the setting to CDMA, reboot, then change it back to LTE/CDMA and reboot. You can also try the ##72786# reset code that
Virgin sent in the text. I got it working before Virgin sent that message, and I don't have that issue anymore, so I have not tried the reset code.

Reactions: duvallite
Upvote 0
After countless tries, I want to explain how I fixed my no data issue.

1. I opened the google hangouts app. I hit the menu button and went to settings > sms > access point names. I touched the plus sign (top right) and entered the following:

Name: Virgin Mobile US
MMSC: http://mmsc.vmobl.com:8088/mms?
MMS proxy: 205.239.233.136
MMS port: 81
MMC: 311
MNC: 490

2. Exit the app and hit menu then go to settings > more > activate this device > reset cellular network.

My phone has been working ever since.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones