• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Virgin Mobile Canada

Boot the phone into bootloader (turn phone off, pull and replace the battery, hold down volume and press power) and see if it says "MARVEL", "MARVELC" or "MARVELCT".

If it says MARVEL, then you can root using this method without gaining S-OFF by unlocking your bootloader:
[Guide] How to root the Wildfire S with S-ON (finally!)

If it says MARVELC/CT, then the goldcard method of gaining S-OFF (below) should work, though you can try the method above too.
Tutorials, Roms, Team MarvelUSc -- EVERYTHING YOU NEED

If it turns out that this is a GSM/Marvel/A510e, then there are lots of custom ROMs out there for it such as CM7, Sense 3.5, etc. and it will be the first to get CM9/ICS.

If it's MARVELC/CT, then there aren't many good ones out there yet. Check the "Team MarvelUSc -- EVERYTHING YOU NEED" thread above.

Reactions: Mossey
Upvote 0
First I have to say that I am a new android owner (a little over a month) so I am new to this.

I have unlocked my bootloader through HTCdev.com

I have rooted the phone using HTC SuperTool v3 by frigid at xda-developers Following the instructions here (http://androidforums...-s-finally.html

I have tried to install the custom recovery image from here (http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1213229) but get the following error....

***UNLOCKED***
MARVEL PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-1.08.0099
MI CROP-0451
RADIO-7.46.36.14M
Nov 28 2011, 19:09:21

HBOOT

Model ID incorrect!
Update Fail!
Press <POWER> to reboot.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO NEXT, ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.

My device is:

HTC WILDFIRE S [Marvel A510a] CDMA/HSPA
Carrie: Virgin Mobile Canada (on Bell's network)
Android Version 2.3.3
HTC Sense Version 2.1
Software Number 1.36.666.5

Upvote 0
It did flash ROOTED, and I installed Superuser, I just yesterday installed ROMmanager and it tells me that my phone is not rooted.

I again tried using the HTC SuperTool v3 by frigid to root my phone. The zergRush method of prepping seems to prep my phone, then I select option 3, and it tells me my phone is rooted. I then install superuser and rommanager, but still no joy. I uninstalled superuser and rommanager and tried the tacoroot method of prepping the phone but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Is there another proven method for rooting the WFS?

Upvote 0
****SUCCESS****

OK, so I tried and tried again to use the HCT Supertool to root my phone, with ZERO success.

I did some further searching and found this little program, Unlock Root of Android

Connect your phone to your computer (HTC drivers & Debugging mode REQUIRED)
-Start Unlockroot
-Click "ROOT"
-select phone model
-enjoy coffee
-Installs Super User & Roots phone
- install rommanager
-flash ClockworkMod Recovery
-Back up phone

YAY!

Reactions: BillydaGreek
Upvote 0
****SUCCESS****

OK, so I tried and tried again to use the HCT Supertool to root my phone, with ZERO success.

I did some further searching and found this little program, Unlock Root of Android

Connect your phone to your computer (HTC drivers & Debugging mode REQUIRED)
-Start Unlockroot
-Click "ROOT"
-select phone model
-enjoy coffee
-Installs Super User & Roots phone
- install rommanager
-flash ClockworkMod Recovery
-Back up phone

YAY!

Hi. Which custom sense ROM did you decide on?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I have a HTC Wildfire S from Virgin Mobile Canada. I rooted my phone for the first time last night. I used this guide: http://androidforums.com/wildfire-s-all-things-root/480954-guide-how-root-wildfire-s-s-finally.html and it worked. Thank you to the help on this page as well. If anyone has any questions let me know and I'll share what I learned during the process.

The first rom I tried is EQDKP Sense 3.5 - GB2.3.5 idogx base - OC Kernel [m1ndh4x8r mod] - it's all right but it doesn't have live wallpaper and I like the WP clock app which needs it. I'm going to experiment with some others.

Upvote 0
See the best thing is to have link2SD. With that, you will never have memory problems.I really recommend you use that. I think I found a great guide on how to do it on xda developers somewhere.
As for 7.1, I got it from here
[ROM] Unofficial Cyanogenmod 7.2.0-RC1-marvel-KANG (UPDATE) - xda-developers
It's the unofficial cyanogen but the 7.1 wroks perfect. If you ever want to flash it, make sure you also download gapps before flashing the rom otherwise you won't have any google apps as cyanogen does not support them.
As for sense, CafeKampuchia says that his fav is Marvel/A510e is EQDKP Sense 3.5 by m1ndh4x8r, the same one your're using which is ok. I haven't tried any other sense roms though so can't really help you on that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones