• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Virgin Mobile Houston Area?

mlsa

Oct 8, 2011
Anyone around the Houston area getting good Virgin Mobile service right now?

I've been using Virgin Mobile for several years and have been pretty satisified but just got a new Galaxy S2 4g last week and can't even get a phone call at work, getting on internet is hit and miss...spent an hour yesterday with support(if you call it that) and still nothing.

Thinking of abandoning Virgin Mobile and returning my phone...unlimited data, text doesn't mean much when you can't get online at all or rarely.

David

Maybe they're doing network vision and LTE improvements in your area. S4gru.com is normally where you can info about NV and LTE roll outs. When they're physically working on improving the tower, its going to interfere with your service in general. Also type in your area code into network.sprint.com to findout what towers have been uupgraded, then go to coverage.sprint.com to check your coverage.

Upvote 0
I gave up on Virgin Mobile last July. I purchased an Evo V and it really brought home to me how slow the speeds were, something about upgrading phones seemed to really drive home how slow service was. At least part of the problem was how many places I had no WiMax coverage, and when I didn't have WiMax my speeds were typically 200 Kbps or lower.

I returned the Evo V, bought a Nexus, went with the T-Mobile $30 plan, and I have been much happier. My worst speeds are better than the best speeds I had on Virgin, and my typical speeds compare to what I was getting with WiMax. While I realize the T-Mobile $30 plan is not for everyone (with only 100 minutes), that is one advantage to a GSM phone -- you can always switch to another carrier that does give you what you need (Straight Talk, Solavei, Lyca, etc.).

Upvote 0
Maybe they're doing network vision and LTE improvements in your area. S4gru.com is normally where you can info about NV and LTE roll outs. When they're physically working on improving the tower, its going to interfere with your service in general. Also type in your area code into network.sprint.com to findout what towers have been uupgraded, then go to coverage.sprint.com to check your coverage.

Thanks for your reply. I did check on the sites you mentioned and it seems like they have either upgraded or in the process of upgrading 300 towers. I did figure out that part of my problem was this building I work in...I'm just not going to get reception in here. At home or outside the refinery I get full 4-G most of the time. That I can live with. It just bothers me that everybody else can get internet on their phones at work and I can't but I do have it on my computer so no big loss.

David

Upvote 0
I am near Amarillo, Texas and I have had NO service for almost three days. No calls, no internet, no texts. Called VM and they said they will give me free minutes.

My friends who are Sprint contract customers have been roaming for a few days as well. Not sure what's going on. Customer service is calling my experience an "outage" instead of "upgrade"

Just letting ya know you're not the only one having issues lately :)

EDIT: service finally just came back up here :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones