• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] [MOD] Universal LTE Virgin Mobile APN Fix [WIP] CM/AOSP 4.4.x

MopedRyder

Android Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2013
OHIO
CURRENT STATUS

***Note - your warranty is now void. If your phone dies, its on you.

This is a continued work in process. This version was built for the universal lte builds most ROM builders have moved to.

Currently we have working 4G LTE with both MMS send and receive working on CM / AOSP ROMs via Hangouts and stock MMS with mooknightus fix. This fix is to achieve 4G/LTE connections. Stock MMS requires the fix by moonknightus (Thanks to him) for the stock MMS fix.

This mod will:
1. Search and edit appropriate lines in build.prop
2. Reset the telephony databases (first boot will take a few)
3. copy + correct apns-conf file
4. Add / update the eri.xml file

Directions:
Flash ROM
Boot up first - reboot recovery
Flash Fix
It may take up to 5min to connect
profit....

Starting with 4.4.4 ROMs I found that you may need to boot first after flash, then go back into recovery and do the fix to take hold.

First boot may take a few minutes to bring up 3G/LTE symbols and get internet connection. The telephony database is being rebuilt - give it a few minutes. If you get an acore type error then try to flash ROM, boot, then flash APN fix.

OFFICIAL CURRENT MOD

Universal LTE builds APN FIX - Version: R2

"Universal_vmu_ApnFix-v.R1.zip"

MD5 of R2 fix:
162FCE4773D279FE37D078F09373AE37

DOWNLOAD HERE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

FOR STOCK MMS FIX GO HERE:

http://androidforums.com/virgin-mob...root/865974-aosp-stock-messaging-mms-fix.html

Thanks to moonknightus for the stock MMS fix

FAQ's in the 2nd post.

Folder with all builds here [CLICK]

Special thanks to:
junkie2100
punkmaxx
moonknightus
struckn

FAQs

Question: Does lte work?
Answer: Based on testing yes.

Question: Will this work on both "d2lte" and "d2spr" builds?
Answer: Based on testing yes.

Question: Will this work on Galaxy S5 ROMs?
Answer: Based on initial testing yes.

Question: Will this work on other phones for Virgin Mobile fix?
Answer: Untested. The fix operates via the google universal partition setup. This means its based on partition names in the CM / AOSP ROMs rather than hard partition points.

Question: Will this work on MK5 or other TW based ROMs?
Answer: Yes. I tested in on MOAR v9

Question: Will mms work on XXX mms app?
Answer: I only use Hangouts and I tested mms on that...worked. Textra reported working too

Question: Will "Virgin Mobile" show up as carrier?
Answer: Based on testing - yes.

Question: Can I incorporate into my ROM?
Answer: Of course! Its Open Source. Use / modify as you need. Just give credit.

Question: If I dirty flash should I redo the APN fix?
Answer: YES - I suggest you reflash the APN fix with dirty flashes. Dirty flashes replace the build.prop and that will need re-updated.

Upvote 0
Using the 04/08/2014 LS and no problems so far. Can't get 4G or LTE but that's nothing new.

Typically on this device 4g/LTE are the same thing, depending on the ROM itself it'll usually say either 4g or LTE

By you saying it not working is nothing new I'm guessing your in an area that doesn't have good 4g/lte? Cause I've already seen 2 users at least saying its working flawlessly

Upvote 0
My guess its the area, Ive got LTE in my area and it works. Make sure its set to LTE:

Settings > Under "Wireless & Networks" click MORE > Mobile Networks > Preferred network type should say "CDMA+LTE/ECDO".

Thanks MopedRyder; it's set to CDMA/LTE/EVDO. I also checked VM's LTE coverage map and my area is showing as "Best". Weird???

Upvote 0
Switched over to EvolveSMS from Hangouts in order to test MMS (LiquidSmooth of course, latest build from 4/8). Wouldn't send on LTE, had to manaually switch to 3G. Hangouts had no such issue, sending and receiving work fine on LTE. Going to be flashing several ROM's today, due to updates to OSE, Beanstalk, and OctOS, in addition to the already installed newest Liquid. Will experiment a little more throughout the day.

Reactions: ajnycguy
Upvote 0
Switched over to EvolveSMS from Hangouts in order to test MMS (LiquidSmooth of course, latest build from 4/8). Wouldn't send on LTE, had to manaually switch to 3G. Hangouts had no such issue, sending and receiving work fine on LTE. Going to be flashing several ROM's today, due to updates to OSE, Beanstalk, and OctOS, in addition to the already installed newest Liquid. Will experiment a little more throughout the day.

Getting MMS to work on LTE made me pull my hair out. Virgin mobile working on Sprint networks when it comes to MMS messages is an over complicated issue caused the providers. When attempting to receive MMS on LTE networks with stock MMS or some 3rd party MMS apps it returns with a "HTTP error: Authorization Required". When trying it on 3G its no problem. Seems they required "Authorization" for MMS on LTE but not 3G - go figure.

Seems Hangouts (and maybe others) do something that makes "Authorization" not required to receive MMS. In part Hangouts fixed the MMS issue instead of me...lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones