[Virgin Mobile] ROM Development Questions and My Idea

Last Updated:

1. 19wilkerson99

19wilkerson99 Well-Known Member

Hey everyone! I have some ideas for some ROMs but it looks like we only have 1 or 2 people actually working on ROMs for this phone at the moment. I've always wanted to develop a ROM and/or a kernel for the phones I have owned. I'd be willing to make a ROM for this phone but I don't know where to start :confused: Well I have Linux Ubuntu running from my Mac using Parallels 8(Pretty much the Virtual Box of Mac for those who don't know). So I was wondering how I would start and then how I would develop it and fix bugs, ect. I would like to go with a Touchwiz ROM that was Android 4.2.2 and has the Firmware that the Galaxy S IIIs are getting that gives it some of the S4s' feature. I think we a good kernel and a decent overclock and

2. aoiyume

aoiyume Member

I hear that running though a virtual box would make the task tougher. Look at the thread that g60 started. He's the one you want to talk to about rom development.
  3. g60madman

g60madman Well-Known Member Developer

4. 19wilkerson99

19wilkerson99 Well-Known Member

Thanks! I'm looking at it right now.. Summer is boring and I really need something productive, useful, and intriguing to keep my brain active. Hoping this will help a lot, I have seen your work before and it's very impressive!
    g60madman likes this.
  5. g60madman

g60madman Well-Known Member Developer

Yeah my suggestion is reload your computer with Linux and go to town!
  6. JerryScript

JerryScript Well-Known Member

You could try Wubi, which allows for a dual boot system without having to repartition any HDDs. Works for almost all flavors of Windows, though W8 has some issues (if using W8, I would partition and install a true dual-boot). It has a Windows installer that makes it very simple to set up, even a grandma could do it! ;)

I've been using Wubi to build Android for a couple of years now. I have had a couple of hiccups along the way (learn how to recover from freezes without powering off!!!), and I've borked more than one install by trying to patch it with experimental stuff (can't help myself, I know it's probably a sickness, meh), but it's worked like a charm 98% of the time! Be sure to backup the Wubi virtual disc in Windows regularly, and you shouldn't have any situation you cannot recover from.