• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Virgin Mobile Rumored Devices Thread

HTC Desire 601 Headed To Virgin Mobile

This looks very cool, can't wait to see the price. This has the boom sound which was a killer feature on the One. WOW! Also the Blink feed and the Zoe camera feature with LTE on board as well.

If they price this reasonably it will probably be a huge seller because of the good specs and it will be released near the holidays.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
The HTC Desire 601 is inferior to the S3 in all respects, so they have to price it at $249.99 for it to be competitive. Even then, the S3 will be $299.99 or less come Black Friday and definitely on Cyber Monday. VM already has three or so Android smartphones with dual-core Snapdragon processors with 1GB of RAM at $149.99 (F3), $194.99 (Victory), and $249.99 (Supreme), so it's just another addition to the stagnating last generation dual-core lineup. With the S3 stuck in permanent 15% off and $50 off cycle of discounts, and the new iPhone 5s already available, it would be a good time to introduce the S4 at the $449.99-$499.99 price range.

Upvote 0
Does anyone know what carriers you can easily use the new nexus 5 on? I'm guessing t-mobile 100 minutes plan or something similar is the only option if you want to avoid the high monthly bill of the others. I'm thinking of one of the following:

htc one on ting, but need to be able to bring my own which they don't allow yet, only theirs works and it's listed at $536, ouch.

htc desire 601 or samsung s3 or other on vm. Would make this move on black friday so will depend on what the prices are.

nexus 5 on (someone). This could be the best option but I REALLY don't want to pay a lot per month so my options are limited here.

Upvote 0
Does anyone know what carriers you can easily use the new nexus 5 on? I'm guessing t-mobile 100 minutes plan or something similar is the only option if you want to avoid the high monthly bill of the others. I'm thinking of one of the following:

htc one on ting, but need to be able to bring my own which they don't allow yet, only theirs works and it's listed at $536, ouch.

htc desire 601 or samsung s3 or other on vm. Would make this move on black friday so will depend on what the prices are.

nexus 5 on (someone). This could be the best option but I REALLY don't want to pay a lot per month so my options are limited here.

Per the FCC filing, it has the right frequencies to work on T-Mobile, AT&T, and Sprint. The problem with Sprint is that the ESN of the phone needs to be input on Sprint's network in order for the phone, and Sprint has never allowed BYOD (at least that I am aware of). Virgin Mobile definitely does not allow BYOD.

It will be interesting to see how the Nexus 5 will work with Sprint and if it becomes an option for Virgin Mobile.

Upvote 0
Per the FCC filing, it has the right frequencies to work on T-Mobile, AT&T, and Sprint. The problem with Sprint is that the ESN of the phone needs to be input on Sprint's network in order for the phone, and Sprint has never allowed BYOD (at least that I am aware of). Virgin Mobile definitely does not allow BYOD.

It will be interesting to see how the Nexus 5 will work with Sprint and if it becomes an option for Virgin Mobile.

I highly doubt that VM will get the Nexus 5

Upvote 0
I highly doubt that VM will get the Nexus 5

That was my initial thought, as well. OTOH, it does have the Sprint frequencies, making it appear that Sprint may sell it. If Sprint does sell the phone, it fits the profile of the type of phones (inexpensive) that Virgin likes to sell. Of course, Virgin would want to lock the phone to their network and, likely, would want to control updates, both things Google is not going to want to agree to with the Nexus.

Upvote 0
That was my initial thought, as well. OTOH, it does have the Sprint frequencies, making it appear that Sprint may sell it. If Sprint does sell the phone, it fits the profile of the type of phones (inexpensive) that Virgin likes to sell. Of course, Virgin would want to lock the phone to their network and, likely, would want to control updates, both things Google is not going to want to agree to with the Nexus.

And that's why I say it's highly unlikely.

Upvote 0
88776d1382711301t-nexus-5-virgin-mobile-nov-8-virgin-nexus-5.png

It could happen! :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones