• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] [BETA] [4.4.4] CarbonRom Unofficial

xclusive36

Android Expert
Jan 28, 2014
Maryland
www.litestep.com
CarbonRom is an aftermarket firmware based on the CyanogenMod and Android Open Source Project.
XzinYIT.png

We are dedicated to fast, stable, and feature-filled roms, honesty and communication with our users, and openness with our code. We like frequent builds, with the very latest and greatest hardware support and fixes. We strive to not only provide you with the best rom we can build, but also to give back to the Android community and our fellow developers. For us, this is about creating something we can be proud of and hope you will enjoy.

Please feel free to look at, build, and use our code on CarbonROM GitHub.

We would like to thank CyanogenMod for their device trees, framework/settings mods and their code that was incorporated into this project. We also extend our gratitude to the devs whose code that we have incorporated. Proper authorship has been maintained and can be viewed on our repository.

Special thanks also go to Slim Rom for some of their features, AOKP, and anyone else we may have borrowed commits from that hasn't been mentioned here. If you feel you have been unfairly left out, please - let us know.

While we make every effort to test these builds as much as possible, we are not responsible for anything that may happen to your device, family, pets, or perception of reality. We ask that you do your part to know your device and know how to recover from problems before you flash! If you have questions, ask your fellow users or ask us in #teamcarbon on freenode IRC.

Features:

CM Theme Engine

Wi-Fi notifications

Audio:
AudioFX Equalizer
AOSP & CM Audio features
Slim Extra features like:
Camera Shutter sound,
Screenshot Sound,
Safe Headset Volume,
Less frequent notification sounds, etc.
Volume steps,
Audio charge notification

Display Options
Adaptive Brightness
Daydream
Ambient Display
Wake Up on Charge
Double Tap to Sleep
Omni Screen Recorder
Color Calibration
Expanded desktop

CM Notification manager
Slim Heads Up Notifications and its features

LockScreen:
CM shortcuts
Slim shortcuts
Weather with custom style

"CarbonFibers" features Menu:

Status Bar
Slim Clock & Date Options
Weather
Battery Options
(Portrait, Landscape, Circle, Dotted Circle Text or Hidden)
Mobile & Wifi Network activity icon options
Network traffic monitor
Brightness control
notification count
notification ticker
Custom carrier label options

CM custom Navigation Bar tweaked (size/color and other)
Custom Navigation ring

Interface:
Toast animations,
Listview animations,
System animations,
Gesture Anywhere,
App Circle Side Bar

Recents:
Clear All Button Tweaks
Hideable Google search bar

Slim PIE

Notification Drawer
Tile Options (Fully customizable)
SlimActions Tile
Quick Setting Options
Quick & Smart Pulldown
Colorized Tiles

Power Menu:
Advanced reboot
Screenshot
Screen Record
Profile Switcher
Airplane Mode
User Switcher
Settings
Device Lockdown
Sound Panel

Buttons
Fully CM customization for hard buttons (tweaked)

Omni Wake lock blocker
SuperSU - Huge thanks to @Chainfire

Specific Device Control:
Oneplus One Screen-off gestures

Code:
#include
/*
* Your warranty is now void. *
* We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards. Please
* do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
* before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications.
*/

All the source code for CyanogenMod is available in the CyanogenMod Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to CyanogenMod, please visit Gerrit Code Review

Device Tree:
https://github.com/xclusive36/android_device_lge_fx3

Instructions:

First time flashing CarbonRom on your device, or coming from another ROM?
  1. Root the device and install ClockworkMod or TWRP Recovery.
  2. Perform a backup of your current ROM.
  3. Perform a factory reset while in recovery
  4. Flash CarbonRom.
  5. Flash GAPPS

Do not use bug tracker on Unofficial builds

What works:
  • Accelerometer
  • Automatic brightness
  • Bluetooth
  • Calls
  • Compass
  • Data-4g/Lte
  • Data-3g
  • External SD
  • GPS
  • Headset/headphones
  • Home button LED Lights not 100%
  • Microphone
  • MTP
  • Rotation
  • Sms / Text message
  • Sound
  • Speaker phone
  • Wi-Fi
  • Wifi Hotspot
  • USB tethering
What's not working:
  • Camera/Flash
  • Torch app
  • Vibration (removed because of instability)

Download Links
https://s.basketbuild.com/devs/xclusive36/fx3/vm/carbon

md5sum
552e4c45862f5c08c92c70202f1a4d10 CARBON-KK-UNOFFICIAL-20150805-1047-fx3.zip

If I have helped you, and you like my work, please click on the Like Button.

- xclusive36

This is based off of the cm11 device tree.
I wanted to say thank you to daemon32. Thank you :)
masterdebugger for your awesome sauce
phenomx4 is awesome
Anyone else?

Last edited:
Changelog

8/04/15

• Replaced apns-conf.xml file (Virgin Mobile)

8/03/15
  • Vibration (removed because of instability)
  • LG Boot Animation fixed
  • 4g/lte fix (again)
  • Tweaks & bug fixes

7/20/15

• 4g/lte fix (stable)
  • 3g fix
  • Tweaks & bug fixes

7/19/15

• 4g/lte

7/18/15

• Accelerometer
  • Automatic brightness
  • Bluetooth
  • Calls
  • Compass
  • Data/3G
  • External SD
  • GPS
  • Headset/headphones
  • Home button LED Lights not 100%
  • Microphone
  • MTP
  • Rotation
  • Sms / Text message
  • Sound
  • Speaker phone
  • Vibration
  • Wi-Fi
  • Wifi Hotspot
  • USB tethering

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I uploaded a new version that has lte/4g working. I'm not 100% satisfied with it. Please report back how it works for you. Especially phone calls and text messaging. Mms didn't work for me with it.

If you're in a 3g area, it may not work for you without special instructions.

I especially need to know if phone calls work. On my phone, it set it to lte/gsm which is not correct. I had to manually set it to lte/cdma. Phone calls didn't work for me when it was set to lte/gsm.

Also, you may have to set your apn for your carrier. Virgin/sprint/boost/fredompop, etc..

I'm not 100% set on the eri.xml file. It's more virgin centric. I may go with a more generic version. Please report back, I may need to make a few changes.

Upvote 0
Great job on the port, for some reason I don't have root? I can still su in a shell but link2sd and such don't want to play nicely. Also I think the RIL is causing issues, Whenever it loses signal it crashes libc and whatever app I have open at the time gets reset. I experienced similar issues with the t-mobile cm11 ROM when toying with 4g.

What exactly is it that's causing issues with the camera and torch? I didn't realize how much I used them until I didn't have them.
If we knew that we'd have it working ;) My guess is it's a kernel issue as /dev/camera/ (on the cm11 rom, I haven't checked on this version, I assume it's using basically the same kernel though?) seems to be empty, but some of the lib files are throwing errors as well, so it could be a bunch of things.

Upvote 0
This rom doesn't have root. You can add the su binary in the shell.
Does the SD card swapper work with this rom?

I don't think it would work. I think that only works in stock roms and the cm10 rom as it has the same file setup. The kitkat roms have an alternative folder structure.

Reactions: ivanmius
Upvote 0
Great job on the port, for some reason I don't have root? I can still su in a shell but link2sd and such don't want to play nicely. Also I think the RIL is causing issues, Whenever it loses signal it crashes libc and whatever app I have open at the time gets reset. I experienced similar issues with the t-mobile cm11 ROM when toying with 4g.

If we knew that we'd have it working ;) My guess is it's a kernel issue as /dev/camera/ (on the cm11 rom, I haven't checked on this version, I assume it's using basically the same kernel though?) seems to be empty, but some of the lib files are throwing errors as well, so it could be a bunch of things.

It is the same kernel as the cm11 rom. The ril maybe unstable but I haven't found an alternative that works for lte yet. The 7/19 version is more unstable. The phone will occasionally reboot. I've even noticed a "black screen of death" System error screen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok, I think I have it pretty stable now. It correctly goes to LTE/CDMA now. When it can't access LTE, it defaults to 3G. Then it jumps back to LTE when it can as it should. It seams very stable to me.

I'm compiling a new version with the changes now. Afterwards i'll focus on the camera. The cm11 virgin/sprint rom won't be updated until the camera issue is resolved. Or, I give up. :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones