• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile/Sprint] VM LS720V7 - Updating, Rooting, and Unbricking

bkttk2

Android Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2012
Blue Springs, MO
**As with any guidance provided you assume all risk using the information. You always run the risk of bricking your phone. All information provided by myself and the below forum members is given as guidance only.**

The following guidance will assist you with updating and/or rooting your VM Optimus F3.

To check your current software version select System settings → About phone → Software information → look at software version (ex. LS720ZV7 is v7)

This post provides information that will assist with updating form software LS720V6 → LS720V7.

If you are currently on software LS720V5 you will need to update to LS720V6.

Information on updating LS720V5 → LS720V6 can be found at the following link:

LS720V6 Update Info

If phone is soft-bricked then select this link to go to the VM unbrick post.

The unbrick post provides download links for VM software versions 5, 6, and 7

NOTE:

• If your phone is currently not rooted then be patient and you will receive a prompt to accept the Over-The-Air update. Follow prompt and phone should reboot and install the OTA update without issue.
  • If phone is rooted, acceptance of the OTA will soft-brick your phone.

LINKS: - DOWNLOAD ALL FILES TO EXTERNAL SD CARD BEFORE BEGINNING

CWMT Recovery

Modified v7 Update zip - Modified for rooted phones by xclusive36

Root – v7 requires TowelRoot

SuperSU

BusyBox

** Back-up all data, using your preferred method (Titanium, My Backup Pro, etc.), before altering any files **

If you are currently on LS720V6 and rooted please see the 2nd post for guidance on updating to LS720V7 and preventing a soft-brick.

ROOTING STOCK V7

Using File manager of your choice locate the downloaded files.

Root v7 software using the downloaded TowelRoot apk
  • Enable Unknown sources on your phone, normally this option located on Settings > Security.
  • Install the downloaded app
  • Now run the app, just tap the “make it ra1n” button to start rooting.
  • Let the app perform the root job

After root install the SuperSU apk. Open SuperSU and update binaries if required.

Close SuperSU app then locate and install BusyBox apk. Open BusyBox app and install.

You can now uninstall the Towelroot app.

If you would like to install the custom recovery please follow the following link

INSTALL CWMT RECOVERY

At this point you should successfully be rooted and running the v7 software.

I want to thank gherkaul and xclusive36 for working with me on trying to minimize the impact to VM users with the v7 update. Hopefully this guidance will help the community with the Virgin Mobile V7 software update.

UPDATING TO V7 SOFTWARE FOR CURRENTLY ROOTED DEVICES

If rooted download Modified v7 Update zip. Modifications have been done by xclusive36.

If you have installed the Purple Metallic theme mod by gherkaul you will need to remove the mod before updating your rooted device.

Go to the Purple Metallic theme posting for file to remove modification.

Another item you may need to correct is the battery mod. Review battery mod post if you applied it.

The update zip will run exactly as it would if you did it by the normal method. The difference between this zip and the standard update method is that this zip file will check to see if any of the files it wants to manipulate is currently on the phone. xclusive36 added a bunch of ifelse(); commands to check each element. If the element is there, proceed as normal. If this file does not exist, skip.

It is assumed that a lot of us had removed files from the phone. The modified update makes sure that those of us who did can update, or do not end up with a bricked phone.

This method is for anyone who has rooted their phone. Regardless if you have made any other modifications.

If you rooted and flash the standard update via the standard method, you will end up with a soft brick.

If phone is soft-bricked then select this link to go to the VM unbrick post.

If you have rooted; regardless if you want to install clockworkmod (cwm recovery) on your phone or not; To update via this method, you will need to install clockworkmod (cwm recovery) onto your phone.

If you would like to install the custom recovery please follow the following link

INSTALL CWMT RECOVERY

If you have clockworkmod (cwm recovery) on your phone. (To update via this method, you do), Flashing this update will remove clockworkmod (cwm recovery) and return your recovery back to the stock recovery.

This update does contain an updated radio.img (cell signal) but is not upgraded when you flash this zip. I had to remove the updated radio.img command because it softbricked the phone.

If you are not rooted, please update by the normal method. You shouldn't have any issues.

Nothing else was removed. Also this will not work in the stock recovery. You must use clockworkmod (cwm recovery)

xclusive36 is still working on an upgrade to the radio and it will be posted in the future.

Since the LS720V7 update will cause you to lose root you will need to follow the LS720V7 root guide in the OP

Upvote 0
Awesome job on the post.

DON'T FORGET TO MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR PHONE WILE IN CWM RECOVERY
If you have any issues, you can restore your phone. It's much easier and quicker than running the Unbrick Guide

This update: LS720ZV7 is a minor Security update. Android Version remains the same at 4.1.2
This update removes a few old files that are no longer needed. It adds a few more files in their place. It also updates the bootloader, boot, and radio images. It also updates the stock recovery.

I've noticed allot of people are having issues after upgrading with obtaining root. As stated above, Towelroot is our only option with the new update. The problem is that after running towelroot, most people will need to download Superuser, or SuperSU from the google play store.

To simplify things, before uprading, (wile still on v6) root your phone with saferoot. It will install superSU on your phone. That way after you upgrade to v7, all you need to do is run towelroot and be done.

This is for Virgin Mobile Optimus F3 4g Phones Only!

Upvote 0
I have a China LG Optimus F3. I was rooted with safe root and had Super user / wifi tether combo. Then I called and complained about the slow speeds and the seen my high data use and Hot Spot blocked my phone. So i restored my phone only using Roba hos wifi tether. V7 updated and towel root will not root. I followed your guide and for me it will NOT work. :(

Upvote 0
Mine is an assert check. It looks like it is checking for Applications Manager, which I removed using TIBU. I will add it back and try again.

Ok, I am now past Applications Manager, but now getting an assert check for Books (Google Books) which I have also removed. Am I going to have to restore all of the stuff I removed in order to update to this? I thought this zip would let us update even if these apps had been removed?

Upvote 0
Mine is an assert check. It looks like it is checking for Applications Manager, which I removed using TIBU. I will add it back and try again.

Ok, I am now past Applications Manager, but now getting an assert check for Books (Google Books) which I have also removed. Am I going to have to restore all of the stuff I removed in order to update to this? I thought this zip would let us update even if these apps had been removed?

Its supposed to. Im not sure why its doing that.

Upvote 0
So I followed the method for my rooted f3 on v6 and the update worked and I clicked fix root. Once it reboot I got all kinds of errors phone process has stopped etc. I couldn't do anything. So I battery pulled and rebooted and it took me to a different recovery android recovery e3 I think. I rebooted and it bootlooped. I battery pulled rebooted and all was well lol idle what happened. I still don't have the recovery I was using before and all my apps I had installed are gone... anyways just wanted to give you guys my problems all is fine now... thanks for making this transition as smooth as possible

Upvote 0
So I followed the method for my rooted f3 on v6 and the update worked and I clicked fix root. Once it reboot I got all kinds of errors phone process has stopped etc. I couldn't do anything. So I battery pulled and rebooted and it took me to a different recovery android recovery e3 I think. I rebooted and it bootlooped. I battery pulled rebooted and all was well lol idle what happened. I still don't have the recovery I was using before and all my apps I had installed are gone... anyways just wanted to give you guys my problems all is fine now... thanks for making this transition as smooth as possible

I'm a little confused, Did Towelroot give you issues? This update resets your recovery back to the stock recovery.

Did you get it fixed and back up and running?

Upvote 0
Alright so I've done the update from zip and it basically does nothing? Still says V6. Not quite sure what I'm doing wrong here, installed update in boot recovery mode from CWM, got the "lost root, fix?" message, have selected both yes and no and still no update. Phone still works fine when it boots, but still getting the OTA notice and still on V6?!??

Edit: I DID lose root so I had to re-root, but the software version info still says V6 :/

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones