• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] [TUTORIAL] CM10.1 on VM GS3

Pretty sure it was originally posted back in July before most of the VM SGS3 phones had the updated (Jelly Bean) bootloader, version MG2. The essence of the guide is still correct, however. Main concern is that you don't really want to mess with flashing other bootloaders due to potential brick issues; current MG2 version works just fine anyway. You will need Odin, most recent .tar file for custom recovery of choice (I always use TWRP) to be pushed onto phone via Odin, and then SuperSU update .zip file to root via flash from custom recovery.

Upvote 0
You can certainly give it a try. I find CWM to be problematic as opposed to TWRP for recovery, and I have read about people having issues using the "root from recovery" file. Main thing is to do a lot of research first, and then figure out what you are comfortable with. Once you have a recovery in place, regardless of which one you choose, make sure to make a nandroid backup in case anything goes south you will be able to restore to a working operating system.

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
Hey guys, I'm late to the party and trying to catch up. In the OP, specifically step #5.
MD4 Baseband/Firmware/Modem zip: We’ll talk more about this later, as this is really the key component of the whole operation. LINK: Goo.im Downloads - Downloading Galaxy-S-fre3-MD4FirmwareModemAIO.zip
The link is dead. I tried google and came back with a couple different size files, so I don't wanna just pick one. Can someone ul your backup to dropbox or something please?

P.S. I still haven't updated, from the August system update, mostly because it won't dl OTA for me for some reason. I haven't got around to doing it manually. Should I bother doing that first?

Last question. I read a page or so ago in this thread that I could just flash a 10.2 nightly build without doing anything? Did I read that correct? I'm currently twrp'd and unrooted.

Upvote 0
Hey guys, I'm late to the party and trying to catch up. In the OP, specifically step #5. The link is dead. I tried google and came back with a couple different size files, so I don't wanna just pick one. Can someone ul your backup to dropbox or something please?

P.S. I still haven't updated, from the August system update, mostly because it won't dl OTA for me for some reason. I haven't got around to doing it manually. Should I bother doing that first?

Last question. I read a page or so ago in this thread that I could just flash a 10.2 nightly build without doing anything? Did I read that correct? I'm currently twrp'd and unrooted.

So you are not on the MG2 bootloaders, is that correct? If you are on the MD7, you just need to upgrade to MG2 using the file that lordmage posted in a different thread; do not mess around with trying to flash a Sprint modem (that is what MD4 is). Otherwise if you want stock 4.3 that update (MK5) has just started to roll out. Personally, Touchwiz is garbage, so I would recommend updating to MG2, rooting, and then installing the custom 4.3 ROM of your choice.

Upvote 0
Hi everyone. I just got my SG3 today, and I want to root/flash (as I've done on all my phones,) but I'm having some problems.

I'm on MG2, and had no problem flashing CWM in Odin. I can get into the recovery with no problem, but I want to make a backup before I do anything major. However, when I try to do so, I get this error:

E:can't open /cache/recovery/log
E:can't open /cache/recovery/log/last_log

I read a thread over at XDA that wiping cache/dalvik will fix this problem, but I'm a bit hesitant to do anything before I make sure I won't brick the phone.

I had to install TWRP in order to make a backup. CWM kept giving me errors.

I'm also confused as to step #5. As ertpecs mentioned, the link is dead. Do I not need to worry about it since I'm on MG2? Can I just boot into recovery and flash CM?

Upvote 0
Hi everyone. I just got my SG3 today, and I want to root/flash (as I've done on all my phones,) but I'm having some problems.

I'm on MG2, and had no problem flashing CWM in Odin. I can get into the recovery with no problem, but I want to make a backup before I do anything major. However, when I try to do so, I get this error:

I read a thread over at XDA that wiping cache/dalvik will fix this problem, but I'm a bit hesitant to do anything before I make sure I won't brick the phone.

I had to install TWRP in order to make a backup. CWM kept giving me errors.

I'm also confused as to step #5. As ertpecs mentioned, the link is dead. Do I not need to worry about it since I'm on MG2? Can I just boot into recovery and flash CM?

If you have TWRP up and running you are halfway there, download latest SuperSU SuperSU Download, place zip on sd card, and flash from recovery to achieve root. Then you can do what you want in terms of flashing custom ROM's. This thread was certainly a good starting point for some of the current procedures being used, but if you look at the dates of the original post, it is "outdated" just a few months later, mainly due to the MG2 update which gave the VM SGS3 JellyBean bootloaders instead of ICS bootloaders.

Upvote 0
If you have TWRP up and running you are halfway there, download latest SuperSU SuperSU Download, place zip on sd card, and flash from recovery to achieve root. Then you can do what you want in terms of flashing custom ROM's. This thread was certainly a good starting point for some of the current procedures being used, but if you look at the dates of the original post, it is "outdated" just a few months later, mainly due to the MG2 update which gave the VM SGS3 JellyBean bootloaders instead of ICS bootloaders.

I used Team Epic's Root from Recovery to get root. Rootchecker verified I had it, though I also downloaded/flashed SuperSU just to make sure, in case something weird was going on like with CWM.

I also finally managed to get CM 10.2 to boot, though I had to edit the updater-script to take out the asserts. Otherwise it failed to flash. Unfortunately, 10.2 seems to be too buggy, even though it's an RC release. The keyboard stops working as soon as the boot finishes, and CM doesn't recognize any of my soft buttons.

I reflashed, and it hasn't helped, so I'm going to try Carbon, or JellyBam, and see if I still have problems.

Upvote 0
I used Team Epic's Root from Recovery to get root. Rootchecker verified I had it, though I also downloaded/flashed SuperSU just to make sure, in case something weird was going on like with CWM.

I also finally managed to get CM 10.2 to boot, though I had to edit the updater-script to take out the asserts. Otherwise it failed to flash. Unfortunately, 10.2 seems to be too buggy, even though it's an RC release. The keyboard stops working as soon as the boot finishes, and CM doesn't recognize any of my soft buttons.

I reflashed, and it hasn't helped, so I'm going to try Carbon, or JellyBam, and see if I still have problems.

I always keep the SuperSU zip in my folder of ROM's, kernels, and tweaks that I have on my phone, never know when you will need it. Have seen lots of people posting about problems with Cyanogen on various forums, hopefully once they start releasing official CM 11 things will get better. Highly recommend Carbon, it is really awesome on this device, JellyBAM is a winner too for me. And finally, you will always have to modify/remove the asserts for the Sprint ROM's when using them on VM, there are no custom 4.3.x builds dedicated to VM, so those ROM's are all built to look for the Sprint bootloaders. Let me know if I can help in any way, on the forums or via PM!

Upvote 0
I always keep the SuperSU zip in my folder of ROM's, kernels, and tweaks that I have on my phone, never know when you will need it. Have seen lots of people posting about problems with Cyanogen on various forums, hopefully once they start releasing official CM 11 things will get better. Highly recommend Carbon, it is really awesome on this device, JellyBAM is a winner too for me. And finally, you will always have to modify/remove the asserts for the Sprint ROM's when using them on VM, there are no custom 4.3.x builds dedicated to VM, so those ROM's are all built to look for the Sprint bootloaders. Let me know if I can help in any way, on the forums or via PM!

I'm going to have to start doing that. I did it for a few old phones, so its just a matter of figuring out what I need for this one.

I've heard a lot of good things about Carbon, and I'm dying to try it, but it boots into a black screen for me. Guess it really lives up to its name :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I'm going to have to start doing that. I did it for a few old phones, so its just a matter of figuring out what I need for this one.

I've heard a lot of good things about Carbon, and I'm dying to try it, but it boots into a black screen for me. Guess it really lives up to its name :rolleyes:

I'm about to upload a modified version to my Dropbox for another member, I can pm you the link when it is ready if you want.

Stupid question, it sounds like you are fairly experienced, but did you do a full wipe before changing ROM's? Boot issues sounds like not everything got wiped from the previous ROM.

Upvote 0
I'm about to upload a modified version to my Dropbox for another member, I can pm you the link when it is ready if you want.

Stupid question, it sounds like you are fairly experienced, but did you do a full wipe before changing ROM's? Boot issues sounds like not everything got wiped from the previous ROM.

Yeah, that'd be great. Thanks.

I did a full factory reset, including cache/dalvik. It might just have been an old version. I used an RC from their website, but it was ~8 months old. After dinner I'm going to flash a nightly, I'll let you know how it goes.

Upvote 0
Just for the record...

When I first found this tutorial, I couldn't wait. I blew away Virgin Mobile's bloated, locked up stock ROM, and followed your instructions. Worked like a charm.

But I'd always felt like I had gotten lucky, and had left my S3 in that state ever since.

With the release of CM 10.2 stable (4.3.1) for d2spr yesterday, I decided to take the chance.

A nandroid with TWRP, then flashed the update and the 4.3 gapps through the same recovery. Didn't even wipe.

It was a complete success.
So far, other than having to reconfigure some CM settings, no new issues.

Just thought you'd like to know.

UPDATE:
Actually tried CM 11 KitKat nightly for d2spr, with 4.4 gapps.
No luck.
Had to nandroid back to 4.3.1, which still works just great.

(Though the fail error seemed different, looks like we'll have to wait on a stable CM 11, and a Sprint bootloader update to KK, and then try sticking the VM modem in that one.)

Reactions: struckn
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones