• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Virgin Mobile USA Phone Using On Virgin Mobile Canada Plan?

pauly01

Lurker
Apr 13, 2013
I'm from usa looking to relocate to canada.

I use virgin mobile here in the usa. My phone is the smartphone LG optimus V. I paid around 120 for it brand new a while ago and now the price had dropped down a lot due to new phones etc. I'm on the month to month play for 35/month plus tax which comes to less than 40.

I only get it because i want unlimited internet on the phone and i have 2gb of 3g internet and anytime i go over that, it goes to 2g but that never happens b/c its hard to use that much data. I have 300 anytime minutes as i dont call my phone much. Have unlimited text as well. i could pay for unlimted everything for 55/month plus tax but i rarely even go over 200 minutes so that is not necessary for me.

I'm thus cancelling my plan here in the usa b/c i wont be in usa for a few months and thus its month to month so i could cancel it. I want to know can i use the same phone in canada and use the plans there with my current phone? I do know the cell phone plans in canada are more expensive.

Or would i need to buy a canadian android phone from virgin mobile and thus this phone can't be used to have a canadian plan there?

No, you can't use the phone with Virgin Mobile Canada. The easy answer is that Virgin Mobile Canada is a GSM carrier, and you will need to buy a GSM phone to use on their network.

On the positive side, you can buy a real high end phone. It appears that they will soon be selling the GS4 (when it is available from Samsung); and they currently sell the Nexus 4 and GS3. You can also buy a GSM phone here and use it on their network.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones