• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] [VMOBI][ROM][KERNEL] Victorious ROM + VaeVictus OC kernel (Updated 7-30-13)

Seems Samsung released an update and my phone updated so I had to revert back to stock now after installing this my phone just locks up after booting everything. I mainly wanted to use this for the apps 2sd feature. Are there any other custom roms that have this feature? I use link2sd

Update? What is your build number now?
Edit: I just checked Samsung open source, and there's no new kernel source. You must have just gotten this phone and got the mg5 update. This ROM is designed for mg5. But you don't need victorious for link2sd. Just install the app and use it like you were before.

Upvote 0
Weird as I've had this phone since Jan and first time I got this update lol. Anyhow I'm running Victorious 1.1 now since the one on the first page just locks up my phone though I used it before so not sure what happened.

Are you sure bout link2sd? I guess I just need to partition the sd card that's it? I'm confused as to why this one says it supports apps 2sd

Upvote 0
If you never had your card partitioned you were never using link2sd. You probably were using extsd2internalsd that comes built in victorious. Link2sd is an app, even with victorious you need the app and a 2nd ext4 partition on your sd card. This ROM comes with the mount script for using ext2internal and link2sd together. If your build is mg5, version 0.3.1 should work fine.

Upvote 0
Seems Samsung released an update and my phone updated so I had to revert back to stock now after installing this my phone just locks up after booting everything. I mainly wanted to use this for the apps 2sd feature. Are there any other custom roms that have this feature? I use link2sd

Really? When? I have been checking for updates once a week manually and nothing in months.

Upvote 0
I need some guidance from the smart folks around here...

Tethering is being throttled: I have been tethering (setup per directions from OP) and using alot of data with no issues for several months. The only thing I changed is my location. I moved from San Antonio to Biloxi.

What did I do to screw this up... and is there a fix?

Thanks in advance!

FB

Upvote 0
Throttling is normal when you go past 2.5GB in a month. If you weren't being throttled before there could be a few reasons for that. The tower may not have been properly configured to throttle (unlikely), the tower you were on wasn't all that busy when you used it, or times have changed and they now are being more proactive about throttling. In the terms of service it used to say that they MIGHT throttle you when you go over 2.5GB AND the tower you are on is under heavy use. I'm not sure if those terms have changed, because they may just throttle now no matter what once you hit your 2.5GB soft cap (that has been my experience for the past few months, no matter what tower I am on or time of day).

The throttling happens at the tower on their end and is determined by the usage on your account, so there is nothing that can be done once you hit your 2.5GB soft cap.

Reactions: FireBean
Upvote 0
Agreed. They just started throttling in my area this month. They are more accurately tracking data usage now. So data hogs will be throttled so that we all get better speeds. I was getting horrible data speeds at my house but fine at work. Both with full signal. Now that ppl are being throttled on 4g I get great data speed at home. I will have to limit my tethering to only my tablet now, but we all knew it was coming.

Reactions: FireBean
Upvote 0
Update? What is your build number now?
Edit: I just checked Samsung open source, and there's no new kernel source. You must have just gotten this phone and got the mg5 update. This ROM is designed for mg5. But you don't need victorious for link2sd. Just install the app and use it like you were before.
Quick stupid question!

I have a "System Update available" notification on my phone. Under "Details" it says "Android System Update...this software update includes new enhancements and improvements for your Samsung device..."

I think when I first performed the Mod in November '13 I had read one was NOT to install these updates?

Is it okay to install this update or is there a procedure so as to not interfere with the mod or do I ignore the update?

Thanks to you all who are so much more technologically advanced than I am :-D

Upvote 0
If you have changed any system files on your phone (custom rom, custom recovery, etc.) then it won't install anyways.

Just click the install button (it will reboot the phone and should fail the install; in the case of custom recovery it wont do anything as far as I can tell). Then when you boot back up it should stop nagging every 15 minutes.

Upvote 0
So, I'm going to assume that there won't be a Victorious rom for the latest update?

I'm looking into it, but no promises. I don't intend to dive back into full development, I've got too many projects on the burner right now. However, I do like to keep my phone updated, and customized, so I'll probably post whatever I throw together. I just don't have time for support requests, so anything I post will be As Is.

Reactions: geothefaust
Upvote 0
I'm looking into it, but no promises. I don't intend to dive back into full development, I've got too many projects on the burner right now. However, I do like to keep my phone updated, and customized, so I'll probably post whatever I throw together. I just don't have time for support requests, so anything I post will be As Is.
A no props update for stock nd4 would be appreciated. But I remember all the support issues that came up with mg5.

Reactions: theadamguy
Upvote 0

I just wanted to put my voice to the pool for folks that would like an update, even if "as is". It's a great ROM and would love to see more updates, and that your hard work is appreciated. Cheers!

Reactions: theadamguy
Upvote 0
I just wanted to put my voice to the pool for folks that would like an update, even if "as is". It's a great ROM and would love to see more updates, and that your hard work is appreciated. Cheers!

In addition, you've certainly helped me throughout my entire experience with android, and even inspired me in small ways to go into programming and computer science. I wanna be able to do "neat" things like the masters of these forums such as yourself. I'd be very grateful for an updated victorious. I'd certainly toss a few bucks your way.

Upvote 0
Hi. I was using 11.3/Cataclysm for months now. The best, I came her to get rid of the OTA and decided to give a new rom a try. So I got a formated 64Gb sd, backed up my old rom in TWRP and gave this rom a go.

first I put the new SD card, put a stock MD5 rom on it and the victory 0.3.1 update.

I rand the MD5 rom booted it, went back into recovery formated a 32gb EXT4 partion, installed victory, booted into system installed the link2sd app. messed around with it, decided I hated it.

No harm done, I swapped SD cards, booted into recovery and restored my last backup
I booted into Victorious??? WTF
I went back into recovery, tried again, the recover runs for about 5 seconds and is done?? way too fast seems like it did nothing. I tried multiple backups.
Still Victorious.
Wipped both caches, system data and tried to install stock MD5 rom,
STILL VICTORIOUS

I am not trying to sound like a twat but I am fustrated.

Is there some special step I am missing?

***Update, so after slowing down a bit I noticed every time I try to do anything it starts with "E: Unknown File System: 'datamedia"

So I am not wiping nor installing anything, thus why nothing is changing.

I am using twrp 2.4.3.0. (been using it, never had a problem till now)
I am not entirely sure which version of SuperSU I am currently using, I tried tu update it and it seemed to work. I also tried to update the binaries vit TWRP and it had the same "datamedia" error and never seemed to finish.

Any help would be awesome.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones