• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] [VMOBI][ROM][KERNEL] Victorious ROM + VaeVictus OC kernel (Updated 7-30-13)

Xposed framework is an awesome tool. You install the xposed installer http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=24267797 then open it, install/update framework. Then install any of the wonderful modules which can tweak/mod/add features that you thought you could only get with a custom ROM. Once a module is installed, you just turn it on by checking the box next to it then reboot. Done. As easy as installing an app and checking a box. You'll love it. The module I started with was gravity box.

Upvote 0
If you already had a 2nd ext4 partition you were using in link2sd, then you don't have to do anything. If not, teachme's guide works perfect. I did mine with twrp, and it did involve formatting the card and creating the 2nd partition.
Also
b89d2a201444dfd2f81297d898c0285a.jpg
some things in gravity box. Wanam is also nice, Samsung specific tweaks.

Upvote 0
Thanks! I already installed Xposed and gravity box. Its pretty neat. What module is for the hardware buttons used to skip songs and whatnot?
I already have a second partition for link2sd that i made with partition wizard on PC.
I just read that your memory degrades in time due to put of date victorious scripts so i thought I'd clear it.

In gravity box, Media tweaks/volume keys skip tracks. Any more about xposed you might want to start a new thread. I'll answer.
But as for memory degradation, its the swap that just uses your SD card more than usual but link2sd also has your card reading and writing more, which can wear out lower class cards over time. Best to have class 10 cards. You get what you pay for.

Upvote 0
I have victoriously installed the ROM and I can access the operating system, however the home screen only appears as a black screen and when i go to it the phone shuts down

Check your build and basebands to make sure they end in mg5, if not this ROM is not for you. Remember do not wipe system or anything when installing. If you are mg5 and its not working, restore your backup that you made before installing (instructions clearly say make a backup first) then re-download and reinstall victorious. Again, only for mg5.

Upvote 0
Madbat,
I am interested in rooting my Sprint-locked Samsung Galaxy Victory primarily because of its small 4gig internal memory (otherwise it's in perfect operating condition and I have a 8g external sdcard to make use of). This thread is quite deep and I will happily read through it if this is a doable project. If you are aware of any major hurdles I might be faced with, I would appreciate your thoughts upfront.
I use this phone as a backup (I now have a Note 4). And I don't have cell service through Sprint (and likely never will). Instead, I use FreedomPop which provides me integrated VOIP service (calls, text and data). So as long as I can still grab a wifi signal and get their app (re)-installed from Google Play, I have no reservations about moving forward. In other words, the phone is completely expendable.
I am tech-savvy with desktops and laptops (hardware and software). And I've even popped open my old S1 and negotiated a repair of the speaker. But I have not yet dealt with any Android customization. I understand the patience often needed to deal with software installs. I have dealt with hundreds of OS installs on desktops/laptops (I somehow became the go-to Office IT guy, but not necessarily willingly).
My desire is that I be able to have the option of installing (and running) apps on the external sdcard (which the stock install does not accommodate). Beyond that, I'd obviously love to have some increased performance. But as long as I'm able to expand beyond the 4g memory, I'd be perfectly happy.
Thank you kindly.
Jack

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones