1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

Virgin Mobile's insurance lies, DO NOT TRUST THEM

1. TheConcertKing

TheConcertKing Well-Known Member

When I bought my Optimus V at the end of last year, I got the VM insurance. I am upgrading to the Evo V soon and I decided that since my billing date was coming up, I was gonna cancel my insurance since I didn't really need it anymore. The information for their insurance clearly states on one of the first few pages, "This coverage is optional and you may cancel at any time and receive a prorated refund of your unused premium."

I contacted VM since I didn't see anything saying I had received a refund of any amount after I cancelled and they said the following: "Thanks for contacting Virgin Mobile Customer Care.

We are sorry for the delay, due to an unusual high volume of emails
    received recently, it has taken us longer than we would like to respond
    to your email.

Upon reviewing your account, we have confirmed that the insurance
    service was cancelled. However, no refund can be processed even if you
    did never file a claim."

I replied with: That's funny, because your pamphlet for the insurance clearly states,
    "This coverage is optional and you may cancel at any time and receive a
    prorated refund of your unused premium."
    It's right here:
    http://www.virginmobileusa.com/resources/ASVI-099-NY-EN-SP_final2_3_2011.PDF

^^page 4 under "cancellation policy."

To which they replied: "Thanks for contacting Virgin Mobile Customer Care.

Virgin Mobile will not be able to process a refund for the payment made
    for the insurance. If you would like to ask more information about this,
    you can call Asurion at their phone number: 877-885-1547."

Um....excuse me...but WHAT THE **** IS THIS SHIT?! They STRAIGHT UP LIED in the pamphlet for their insurance...

Advertisement
  2. markzombie82

markzombie82 Well-Known Member

You want a refund for the premiums you have paid in the past because you never used it? Why would anyone sell insurance and give refunds on past premiums they wouldn't make any money.
    And by unused they mean if you just gotten the insurance eg. Bought it today for five dollars waited six days and canceled you would get around four dollars back.
  3. Rachel A

Rachel A Well-Known Member

Unsure about VM but I have had insurance type programs before where they will prorate a refund if you cancel before the term is up.

All of them have been consistent in stating that this would only be allowed if no claim had been made previously.
  4. cb35

cb35 Member

Refund on earned premium would be nice but unfortunately there would no insurance industry if that were the case. The prorated refund refers to cancelling mid month since you are pre paying a month in advance. You would get a partial month refund not a refund from day 1. Bright side you learned how insurance works so you make an educated decision next time.
  5. MacFett

MacFett Well-Known Member

I don't think he is trying to get anything more than his pro-rated $5, correct me if I am wrong TheConcertKing.

And as the OP stated it is exactly as he quoted in the PDF linked from VMUSA's site.
  6. TheConcertKing

TheConcertKing Well-Known Member

I'm not asking them to refund everything I paid, obviously I'm not that dumb. But they very clearly stated that if you cancel your policy, you will receive a pro-rated refund for your unused premium. Now I don't know how exactly they would theoretically figure that, but they should be giving me at least a portion of my money back.
  7. cb35

cb35 Member

your original post said "since my billing date was coming up" suggests you were at month end - therefore they earned your premium for that month. Are you suggesting they owe you 1/30 or 2/30 of $5?
  8. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female Guide

IMHO, which may or may not matter, VM USA at the very least should give the man a clearer explanation other than "no". That's quite unprofessional. I'm sure if they gave an explanation of why, the OP would be better satisfied.
  9. OverByter

OverByter Resident Slide Rule Guru

They don't run the program, that's why they told him to contact Assurion with any further questions. That would be like me calling Best Buy and expecting them to explain Virgins billing policy. Just because they sell it doesn't mean that they have all the answers.