1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Virtual DJ Please!?

Last Updated:

1. deejayskitt

deejayskitt Member This Topic's Starter

I thought it would be really cool if someone could make an application that resembles the program "Virtual DJ". Like, imagine syncing songs to the right beat, scratching, some effects, pitch changer... etc. all on Android. :)

Advertisement
  2. snowburner

snowburner New Member

Although I'm totally new to Android-dev'ing..I really like it so far, and I'm willing to try this, also been thinking about some new ideas to 'DJ'.. Like shaking the device (using Accelerometer) to scratch, using the touchscreen/gestures for different commands (like switching track / FX) and so on. :)

3. six41

six41 Member

my kids would freak out for this app. they are battle DJs in training (although they don't know it yet)

4. Lugh9.0

Lugh9.0 New Member

Right on that would be a sick program. Its got my vote. And I am a graphic and web designer (as well as DJ and show promoter) so if anyone is interested in doing this project I will totally throw down some art and other stuff.

5. Travis

Travis Member

For someone who's not familiar with the musical terms present (I.E., scratching), and other features that would be requested by people similar to you all, is there a program existing already (GNU/Linux or Windows compiled) that would be helpful for devs to look at?

6. Wishyoudefeat

Wishyoudefeat New Member

ya check out traktor dj studio

7. blinkerz

blinkerz New Member

@snowburner
    i'm thrilled to hear that you are interested in this kind of application. i can't wait for your release :)

8. jhern87

jhern87 Member

Still waiting for a program like this on the G1...

My bro has the iphone and everytime i see him I gotta grab his phone and mess with the beat making program on that thing... Is anything like this being developed.. I NEED THIS!!!!

9. homemade-jam

homemade-jam Member

10. Jamalsi

Jamalsi New Member

Would pay for this app myself. :eek:

11. homemade-jam

homemade-jam Member

and I would write it with the incentive of money...started the UI and then got stuck :)

12. mrmangos02

mrmangos02 Member

Any movement on this? best thing i found that doesnt FC is party mix. jsut a simple cross fader.

13. bassl1ne

bassl1ne New Member

jerrad707 likes this.
  14. sezaro21

sezaro21 Well-Known Member

15. droid416

droid416 Well-Known Member

I'd be happy with just being able to play one song at a time, but have pitch control.

Awesome app though bassl1ne.

16. yodroid

yodroid New Member

hey everyone. i saw this in youtube! it's really cool..... i'm a dj also. it would be great if this app would run in android. please keep us updated!

17. sezaro21

sezaro21 Well-Known Member

So what is the word on this app. Any update?

18. b18c195

b18c195 Active Member

Virtual DJ would be so awesome on the phone i have this on my labtop love it

19. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

Just FYI the amount of work creating an app like this is immense to put it lightly.

Especially if you expect something like Traktor by Native Instruments. That app was written for exponetially more powerfull machines with better audio support and by a team of well paid developers.

I'm sure DJ apps will pop up and there are a few cheesy ones out there but give it about a year or 6 months or so, and you'll see some really nice ones for Honeycomb (just my prediction).

20. Draiko

Draiko Well-Known Member

There are two DJ apps that I know of... one is DJ studio and I don't remember the name of the other one.

21. bassl1ne

bassl1ne New Member

Tried I think all Android DJ apps and they are all far from perfect, there are a few that are close by main problem seems to be lag/sticking etc. Think we need to work on an API first that can handle all mp3 functions, play, pitch etc and make it super optimised before even considering a complete application.

22. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic VIP Member

23. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

You dont pitch shift mp3s, as that would add the decoding overhead. Even Ableton Live decodes all the mp3s to wav format first.

Anyways, I sorta forgot about this thread, but I found this NDK library that looks promising for those willing to take a dive into actually writing and app like this.

libpd: Put Pure Data in Your App, On an iPhone or Android, and Everywhere, Free

24. bassl1ne

bassl1ne New Member

Converting to wav is slow and must use a lot of memory. Using the same hardware I created a similar app on Windows mobile which can easily pitch shift 2 mp3s and use the device at the same time without any glitches. Maybe android api's have more restrictions making this not so easy.

alostpacket likes this.
  25. rhodmod

rhodmod New Member

i produce for some friends on the underground scene and would like to be apart of this project. anybody have skype? lets put a team together n make this happen