• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Virtual keyboard vs mechanical, is it still the way it used to be?

boyo1991

Android Enthusiast
May 26, 2011
the internet.
This is just a quick discussion. I remember a few years back people were complaining about virtual keyboards and that physical keyboards couldn't be beat. I am wondering if anyone still feels that way? I have grown used to onscreen keyboards. Not necessarily the new innovative types like Swype (which is very useful but I type slower using Swype) but just typing in general typing on the android stock keyboard has been something I've come accustomed to. Anyone else feel that way?

Virtual keyboards are okay, but can be annoying when browsing a website and the keyboard covers two thirds of the page.

So yes physical is better but not always practical, it's a compromise.

For something a bit different try Minuum Keyboard, might take some getting used to though.

-0YXfBFlg4Y7VOg6CeM6w5u7Pj4CxAb6itlEGIYtzF1H5Kfq6I98qAHCZ07LHNbtfg=h900-rw

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.whirlscape.minuumkeyboard

Upvote 0
Virtual keyboards are okay, but can be annoying when browsing a website and the keyboard covers two thirds of the page.

So yes physical is better but not always practical, it's a compromise.

For something a bit different try Minuum Keyboard, might take some getting used to though.

-0YXfBFlg4Y7VOg6CeM6w5u7Pj4CxAb6itlEGIYtzF1H5Kfq6I98qAHCZ07LHNbtfg=h900-rw

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.whirlscape.minuumkeyboard

While the virtual keyboard may be covering up part of a website when your using it, a physical keyboard typically means a smaller screen even when you arent

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
While the virtual keyboard may be covering up part of a website when your using it, a physical keyboard typically means a smaller screen even when you arent

:thumbup:
Detachable-Bluetooth-Keyboard-for-iPhone-5-with-Back-Light-Blackberry-Style.jpg

http://www.made-in-china.com/showro...Phone-5-with-Back-Light-Blackberry-Style.html

Makes the phone somewhat thicker and bulkier though. Yup, there are always compromises. ;)

I find an on-screen keyboard to be OK for occasional use, like text messages, brief emails or even posts into AF. But for any serious text entry jobs, I really need a full sized PC keyboard for my full speed and maximum efficiency.

Upvote 0
I think a lot has to do with what you start on as far as your preferences down the road goes. If you started out on a Blackberry you'd probably have trouble with a virtual key board and vice versa. The one thing I miss on a virtual keyboard is being able to orient myself on good old home row with the bumpy F and J keys. It was a problem until I started using Swift Key and now I can "predict" my way through just about any conversation, lol.

Upvote 0
At least for me, physical keyboards are still better than virtual keyboards. When I used a Nokia N97 or HTC Desire Z, I never had to use autocorrect. When I first got a Samsung Galaxy S3, I struggled to type for 6 months. I eventually had to turn on auto-correct in order to type with any reasonable degree of accuracy.

Not being able to feel around for which key I'm about to press is a main contributer to my typing woes. Auto-correct only masks the problem of pressing the wrong key. I'm still pressing the wrong key on practically every single word. As good as the auto-correct and text prediction is, there are still many, many types of errors where auto-correct fails to fix. For example, if you accidentally press the space bar instead of a letter, auto-correct willl not be able to fix. Pressing the shift key or a number key also causes problems that auto-correct cannot fix. I've tried with multiple keyboards with auto-correct turned on and none can give me a degree of typing accuracy as good as a physical keyboard without autocorrect.

Another problem I found with virtual keyboards is that you generally don't know you typed the wrong key unless you look at what you had typed. When using a physical keyboard, I found I am able to easily tell if I pressed the wrong key because of the tactile feedback. This allows me to quickly identify mistakes and correct them. When typing on a virutal keyboard, it may be a many words later before I realised I made an error because I have to look at the key I am trying to press. I may not look at what I'm typing until many words later. I have tried to type without looking at the keys. I'm just not skilled enough to do that.

Virtual keyboard do have an advantage in that keyboards that support gesture typing make it easy to type with only one hand. When my phone is mounted in my car, I am unable to slide a landscape slider keyboard out to type. Also, my phone is mounted in portrait orientation. Gester typing keyboards like Swype allow me to type a destination in my mapping app or type in any other situation where I only have access to one hand.

The biggest problem I have with modern landscape slider keyboards (I don't like the portrait ones like on the BlackBerrys) is that they are all attached to crappy phones. What I find so insulting from phone manufacturers is that they put physical keyboards on crappy phones and then claim no one is buying them. It's not that no one is buying keyboards. It's that no one is buying crappy phones. Then they use this to justify no putting any effort in making a good phone with a landscape slider keyboard.

I'm not opposed to advancements in technology. Touch screen keyboards are not an advancement in text input over physical keyboards. I have yet to be able to type on a virtual keyboard as well as on a physical keyboard and I have been trying for almost 2 years now. Virtual keyboards to me are merely tolerable. Auto-correct technology has helped people type on virtual keyboards, but if you look add the same technology to physical keyboards, physical keyboards are still better than physical keyboards.

Upvote 0
I'm curious as to how that helps you guys, I actually have mine turned off because it bugs me.

It's turned off on mine as well, for the same reason. Thing with haptic, it doesn't tell you you're on the correct key, it just tells you you've entered something. Still need to be looking at it to see what you're typing. That's all the feedback I need. With a physical keyboard, you should be able to type accurately by touch alone, with practice.

Upvote 0
It's turned off on mine as well, for the same reason. Thing with haptic, it doesn't tell you you're on the correct key, it just tells you you've entered something. Still need to be looking at it to see what you're typing. That's all the feedback I need. With a physical keyboard, you should be able to type accurately by touch alone, with practice.

My feeling exactly Mike! It doesn't tell you if you hit the RIGHT key like with some of the typing programs, it just says you hit a key, so I find it annoying to go buzzing or clicking along all day, lol.

Upvote 0
I have gotten used to virtual boards. As long as I have a good screen and good haptic feedback I'm happy

I have haptic feedback turned on. I do like the haptic feedback, but it still does not provide feedback before I press the key. It does tell me that I may have made a mistake afterwards which is better than nothing, but doesn't do the job of a physical keyboard with tactile feedback.

Over a year ago, I saw an article about a company call Tactus. They were working on a touch screen where the screen lifts up so you can actually feel the keys before you press it. This technology sounds like something I may be satisfied with. So far, I haven't heard much from them since.

Upvote 0
Thank you all, this forum is helpful and people here share decently without abuse.
It's nice, isn't it? Some forums are so...MEAN...they're best left alone!
I am going to attempt my dissertation using the virtual keyboard. I will be happy if anyone confirms they actually have done a real document typing job by virtual keyboard
Well, I certainly haven't and, frankly, I can't imagine doing so. If you're using a tablet, not a phone, that's certainly better, but the keyboard's still going to be small compared to a real keyboard on a computer. (I'm typing this on my big laptop, with its full-sized keyboard w/numeric pad.) For me, typing on virtual keyboards is a slow, error-prone method I use when I don't feel like sitting up at one of my computers. But I'd never even consider doing that for a 'real document' kind of job. That's just me, though! You're sure to get other opinions, so it really boils down to what works for you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones