6 vote(s)
    5.0%
  6. Droid hardware keyboard

13 vote(s)
    10.9%

Last Updated:

1. jmt9779

jmt9779 Well-Known Member

In the last week, I've been playing with a few different virtual keyboards and I'm just curious what most of you guys are using. Currently I'm switching around between:

- The stock virtual keyboard. Landscape orientation is great, but in portrait, the keys are way too skinny.

- SmartKeyboard Pro. Pretty good layout (using the iphone skin) - specifically in portrait - but gets pretty laggy.

- SwiftKey Beta. This has the best predictive text feature I've ever used, but it's also prone to getting a little laggy and is missing some key features...But it's still beta, so we'll see. I think these guys are on to something.

I know a lot of you guys like Swype but the idea of how it works just doesn't really appeal to me. And I thought I noticed on these forums that a lot of people have been ditching it because it takes up a lot of space and is a bit of a resource hog...?

Anyway, I'm making this a poll (and I'm sorry if I accidentally leave a couple keyboards out) but feel free to discuss also.

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. ricksievers

ricksievers Well-Known Member

I want to try Swype. Is it available?
  3. neggie

neggie Well-Known Member

im using droid x multi touch keyboard 2.1 works great! and fast
  4. jmt9779

jmt9779 Well-Known Member

I'd love to give that one a try but I need to have "vibrate on keypress" and I saw reports that we don't have that function when it's ported to the Droid. :(
  5. esmith818

esmith818 Well-Known Member

I've heard good things about SwiftKey, but I am far more efficient with swiping than 1 or 2 finger pecking, even with predictive text.

@ricksievers: Swype has a public beta. You just have to sign up.
  6. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid Well-Known Member

I would never give up my Swype. Before Swype, I couldn't stand the on-screen virtual keyboards. After getting used to Swype, I was without it for a few days when the original beta version stopped working on my phone, and I felt completely lost until I found a version that worked.
  7. Papadroid

Papadroid VIP Member VIP Member

Swype is a must have for me!! Everytime I use my wife's eris, who doesn't use swype, I get so frustrated having to peck at the keyboard, it's much slower and less reliable.
  8. BlueIce5249

BlueIce5249 Well-Known Member

I had that before I rooted and it was AMAZING.
  9. boatman

boatman Well-Known Member

I have been back and forth on swype. I like it for composing, but when entering in email addresses, especially for addresses that are initials, you need to just peck. I kind of wish there was a toggle mode for using sywpe and pecking.
  10. GirLuvsDroid

There sort of is -- I just pull out my physical keyboard when I need to peck,or I peck on the Swype keyboard if it's short. For me, it's just as easy to peck on the Swype keyboard as it is on any of the other virtual keyboards.
  11. esmith818

I agree although in the latest (public) beta they have disabled spaces for input of email, URLS and such so that I can combine pecking and swiping if I can break a site into several smaller words all jammed together.

Also, as nice as Android's new default "extended keyboard" is, I still like that I can short- or long-press on each Swype key to get the most common characters without having to switch between keyboards.

Oh, and learning of the "special" keyboard with arrow keys was icing on the cake.
  12. El Blacksheep

El Blacksheep Well-Known Member

I'm torn. I like Swype in portrait, but hate it in landscape.

Lately I'm using the 2.2 stock keyboard due to it's hidden extra rows (which I constantly use), but I'd love for the Droid X multi-touch keyboard to get ported to 2.2.

Maybe with a HTC theme on top of it.

I can dream cant I? :')
  13. dbuschini

dbuschini New Member

I had the beta SWYPE..loved it..went to go show someone the difference..so i uninstalled...then went to reinstall..did not work...now i have found out the beta is offline..so if you have swype..dont uninstall it..!!
  14. esmith818

Really? I just checked their website and it appears to be still accepting beta applications. I have heard that they have a limit on how many times you can install the beta, but you can send them the email address you signed up with and they can reset your limit.

By the way, you don't need to uninstall Swype to show the difference. You can just go to the keyboard settings and switch back to the stock keyboard temporarily.
  15. nathan312

nathan312 Well-Known Member

I used to use swype, but I can't find it anywhere anymore...at least one that works. So I use stock android virtual keyboard
  16. DTM

DTM Active Member

I hadn't been able to use any virtual keyboard until I tried swype. Having to type the same key several times to get the one I want just doesn't appeal to me. I'd rather have a physical keyboard. Since I tried swype tho, I really enjoy using that.
  17. GirLuvsDroid

Or just long-press in the text box and select "Input method" then the keyboard you want to change to.
  18. ZAZusmc03

ZAZusmc03 Active Member

I'm new to the android community, as I have just picked up a Droid for my wife and I last night, I'm interested in hearing about Better Keyboard from people who have used it. I don't mind the stock keyboard too much, But my wife is dying to have a keyboard like the storms compact qwerty that she just switched from. Anyone have some insight on how good Better Keyboard is to use in regards to that specific style of input?
  19. GirLuvsDroid

Why don't you sign up for the beta?
  20. Rodeojones

Rodeojones Well-Known Member

This is not true. If you click on the "CLICK HERE TO JOIN" link it takes you to a screen saying that Swype Beta is closed. The best you can do is register with your email to be notified when the beta opens back up.
  21. nathan312

nathan312 Well-Known Member

because of this:
  22. kyleonfire

kyleonfire Well-Known Member

I've tried the IME download of the HTC keyboard. Nice, but it couldn't predict everything I wanted to say.
    I tried the droid x multitouch keyboard and I really liked that but it bugged me that it wouldn't punctuate words properly like the stock one does( ex. im wouldnt be changed to I'm and i wouldn't be switched to I)
    The swiftkeyboard was also very nice but its missing the double tap space bar to put a period. Thats a big one for me so I'm back to stock. Hopefully they put a fix for that soon so I can go back to using it
  23. twistedlim

twistedlim Well-Known Member

Where do you get this?
  24. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

I haven't used Swype since the speech-to-text came out. I just hit that little microphone button and dictate. Saves so much time over even Swype! Am I the only one who uses it?
  25. CobaltDragon

CobaltDragon Well-Known Member