1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Virtual Machines in Android?

Last Updated:

1. birel44

birel44 Member This Topic's Starter

Hey all!

After searching the forum, I couldn't find anything like this so I figured I'd post about it. Essentially what I am looking for is a virtualbox style application for my phone where I could essentially put an ISO on my SD card and then install and use an OS such as Ubuntu or XP. I know it'd be awfully resource intensive and that it may have hurdles because phone processors aren't standard x86 (I read this on other forums, but I'm unsure if that is correct?), but I'm just wondering, does anybody know of anything like this out there?

Thanks,
    Andy

Advertisement
  2. Marc Wonderland

Marc Wonderland Well-Known Member

You want to put a PC operating system on your phone? How much space do you have on the phone?? I am not saying it is impossible however I have never heard it done before.

3. UrbanMuppet

UrbanMuppet Guest

No longer a contributing member. Account pending for deletion.

4. birel44

I have quite a few SD cards on the space part. And if need be, I'd order one of Samsung 's 32 gig cards. But i was thinking the same about the other phones being able to run it.

Hmmm.. all things to ponder.

5. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

I think RAM would be a big issue. Running two OS's on one device (especially one of them being a full-blown desktop OS) is not going to run well at all.

6. birel44

That's what I was thinking too. But couldn't I use some of my card for swap? Also, I was thinking of upgrading to a Droid 2 when its released or the x. Either way, that's half a gig, right? Which half of that to each could do it. I know my Eris doesn't have 256mb and I'm running Ubuntu in a vm with that just fine now. Maybe a python script on application startup to kill any thing that'd be chewing up ram. Again, all just ideas.