1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Virtual Walkie Talkie - more useful than you'd think

Last Updated:

1. dbs

dbs Member This Topic's Starter

Virtual Walkie Talkie by andro iX - Free

It operates like a PTT (push to talk) classic walkie talkie. Fourty channels with scan. Nothing fancy. Uses Wifi or 3G. Has an internal server (WiFi only) or you can download a server for your PC. I suppose you could use the developers user test site if you pine for the good ole days of CB radio.

Once configured and running, the "radio" just listens on one channel or scans, if selected. Push to talk, just that simple. In my tests the application stayed live through phone calls (you can't USE it during a call), switching between 3G and WiFi and normal phone/app use. Since it's data only, no voice minutes are used.

This is a great tool for herding people or quickiy keeping in touch. You don't have to call, record and send, or keep a VOIP connection live. Just press to talk and everyone listening hears you.

I could see great use for this in business, tradeshows and events. l spent an afternoon periodically chatting with a friend while we both went about our business.

There are things I'd like to see, like a push-to-talk widget, bluetooth headset support and a few refinements in the settings, but overall it's a viable tool.

andro iX - VirtualWalkieTalkie

Advertisement
  2. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

downloading... good find. Anyone wanna wt with me over the phone and on the walkie talkie to test latency?

3. blackvyper

blackvyper Well-Known Member

Good app but some of the people on there are just spouting racist nonsense... once private channels are introduced it will be a great app. I want to communicate with people.. not with inbred heathens.

4. dbs

dbs Member This Topic's Starter

That's why I suggest a private server. I'm not sure I can see this as a social tool like texting or twitter, et. al. I see application more for family, friends (of the we-hang-out-together variety) or mobile workgroups.

5. twospirits

twospirits AF's janitor Moderator

Interesting app. Especially if private servers are implemented.

TS out

6. mancow

mancow Well-Known Member

Really neat app! If you could add private channel functionality it would be incredible.

The audio is excellent. Really impressive.

7. Little Darwin

Little Darwin Well-Known Member

When I first read this I missed the headset in "bluetooth headset support" and my first thought was that if you are close enough to get two phones to connect with bluetooth, you probably don't need a walkie talkie. ;)

8. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer VIP Member

They already are! You can either run the server on one of the phones you are using (check in the settings, it's built into the app, just turn the server on on one phone, then set the server IP address on the other phones to the IP address of the phone running the server. Alternatively you can download the server onto a PC or webserver and use the IP address of that machine.

9. mancow

mancow Well-Known Member

OK, I will try that. I turned on the server and still heard strangers so that's what confused me. I thought I would have been isolated at that point.

10. IOWA

You have to change the server in your ip settings.

11. kaine

kaine Well-Known Member

Wont be any use to me unless it would allow me to speak to my iPhone friends :(

12. IOWA

Get your iphone friends to convert :D

13. Durkan

Durkan Well-Known Member

this is a neat app, running a server on my desktop and it works rather well, but i think they should incorporate some sort of password feature for the server access. right now theres basically no security at all

14. XtremeAaron

XtremeAaron Well-Known Member

Im having trouble setting up a private server on my computer, I downloaded the desktop software and run it but I am totally lost after that. Anyone help?

15. AFAngryWarrior

AFAngryWarrior Well-Known Member

Ok, so I downloaded this to see what it was about and personally.. Its only useful if you're a member of the KKK... All I heard on ANY channel I came across was N*** this and N*** that... I thought we were past that, but I guess the south hasn't let go yet.

JameyK likes this.
  16. JoshL

JoshL Member

I downloaded the server onto my laptop and put my computer's IP into the settings on my phones. I can get it to work with wifi, but not 3G. What am I missing? Thanks!

17. Durkan

Durkan Well-Known Member

you guys having trouble setting this up on your computers just need to run the bat file, it opens a little dos window. You need to either disable firewalls or allow the port number to go through your router if your using one. then on your walkie talkie app set the server to your ip address and the port. if it doesnt work, then your security measures are blocking it on your pc somehow. its really simple.

18. IOWA

Yeah if your setting up a server on your pc and you have a router you need to port forward.

19. JameyK

JameyK Well-Known Member

Great. Another outlet for the wackjobs. Thanks for the warning...I'll believe I'll pass.

20. milrtime83

milrtime83 Well-Known Member

You are using the internet....

21. Chrille

Chrille New Member

Hi i have installed the server software on a XP-machine, and it seems to works fine over wlan, i have portforward my router and the serverlog register my Desire fine, but when i try over the 3g network it doesent register, i have tried several different ports, anyone got this to work and what is the config? Regards Chris

22. slu

slu New Member

The stupid comments on the public channels turn me off. For a decent android PTT app that supports private conversations, try TiKL - Touch to Talk. It is receiving rave reviews. I can PTT a group of my friends. All I need is their phone numbers that are already in my contacts. TiKL connects me instantaneously! And it

23. mcatdtDROID

mcatdtDROID Banned

lol - stereotyping the south while getting angry at stereotyping.

"you're stereotyping is bad, mine is ok" ignorance at it's finest :rolleyes:

24. radek-k

radek-k New Member

Check out new CB Radio Chat app in Android Market. Test version for now only. However it works great.

25. NYEngineer

NYEngineer New Member

I find this app very useful when you are -not- using the default server that the app is set to use.

The server we setup is:

CBandFRSradio d- o- t- VoIP01 d- o- t c- o- m- , p- o- r- t- is 8575

Press menu/options, look for the top where it says host, replace what is there with what is typed above, click apply at the bottom, turn the app off and then back on....now you'll be on the new server.

Myself and another fellow are planning on putting connections to live, two-way radios on certain channels to add to some of the fun.