• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Virus/Adware

JR1704

Aug 20, 2016
Hello,
I have an LG G5, using Chrome browser. Every time I try to access a new site, I'm redirected to a page telling me I have a virus and that I need to download an antivirus program.
I've uninstalled/reinstalled Chrome, cleared cache/data, run several malware scanners and all returned clean, (though the page I was redirected to changed after each attempt at a solution).
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-08-20-10-17-52.png
    Screenshot_2016-08-20-10-17-52.png
    624.7 KB · Views: 180
  • Screenshot_2016-08-20-10-49-08.png
    Screenshot_2016-08-20-10-49-08.png
    630.2 KB · Views: 118
Hi

Does the pop up occur in an incognito tab?

Did you run Malwarebytes and Addon Detector. Those two find most things.

Re uninstalling, did you do it this way:

Turn off wifi and data
Close chrome and delete from recent apps
Go to settings>app manager
Find chrome
Delete cache and data
Uninstall from settings.

Upvote 0
Hi

Does the pop up occur in an incognito tab?

Did you run Malwarebytes and Addon Detector. Those two find most things.

Re uninstalling, did you do it this way:

Turn off wifi and data
Close chrome and delete from recent apps
Go to settings>app manager
Find chrome
Delete cache and data
Uninstall from settings.
Yes, it's much more regular in Incognito tabs.
Yes, I've run those plus Avast and something else, forgotten what.
And yes, cleared cache and data, uninstalled updates, disabled the app, restarted device and reinstalled it. Same issue.
Pain in the aaaaaaarse.

Upvote 0
Yes, it's much more regular in Incognito tabs.
Yes, I've run those plus Avast and something else, forgotten what.
And yes, cleared cache and data, uninstalled updates, disabled the app, restarted device and reinstalled it. Same issue.
Pain in the aaaaaaarse.
Saying that, Addon Detector picked up several addons for Chrome, but none of which seemed particularly worrying. Is there anything I should look out for in particular?

Upvote 0
That 1st screenshot looks like a whole new browser window was opened to being you that warning. When I run into that I just tap on the number in the saquare (in your case 2) and swipe it away. Not sure what the deal is with screenshot 2. I believe the number 1 screenshot only happens at certain sites so it's something embedded in their pages possibly.

Upvote 0
That 1st screenshot looks like a whole new browser window was opened to being you that warning. When I run into that I just tap on the number in the saquare (in your case 2) and swipe it away. Not sure what the deal is with screenshot 2. I believe the number 1 screenshot only happens at certain sites so it's something embedded in their pages possibly.
They both redirected, in #1 I just had a second tab open already.
It's happening every time I go to a site for the first time. Incognito was just so I didn't get random sites in my suggested list.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones