• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Visibility in Direct Sunlight

Is the Captivate's SAMOLED usable outdoors in direct sunlight?

• Yes, I don't have any issues using it outdoors.

Votes: 30 71.4%
  • No, I can't see a thing. It's useless until I get inside.

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • I can use it outdoors only if I cup my hand over it or get in the shade.

Votes: 9 21.4%

• Total voters

Loremonger

Jul 28, 2010
As I recall, every review for the Captivate dings it for being hard to see the screen in direct sunlight. But is it just me, or is it not that bad? I've been using mine outdoors for running. That includes controlling the media player, switching to email to link to the map my running team emailed to us, and then referencing the map when so I knew where to turn. I'm not reading War and Peace with the reflection of the sun glaring off the screen, but all in all, I've found it pretty easy to use outdoors.

What are your thoughts on real world outdoor SAMOLED usability?

I never have a problem outdoors. I take it out on bright sunny days when I play golf twice a week, and when I use it, I never put it up past 50% brightness. I turned it up to full brightness once and it was too bright. I've never had to cup my hand over it. Maybe if you put it at just the right (or wrong) angle it's a problem, but that's really nit-picking.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones