Visited the Sprint Store today to Compare Evo V Epic and produced questions instead...

Last Updated:

1. labomba

labomba New Member This Topic's Starter

*Background knowledge: Still using on old AT&T flip phone. Was going to go T-Mobile/GNexus 'til they stopped producing it :(. Then while waiting for my AT&T contract to expire (Sept. 26th) I decided the Evo was the best alternative. My only complaint was no keyboard/Swype (or Swype alternative, as I did not know about SlideIT). Then heard about the Epic, decided the keyboard was too strong a selling point. Now though I'm scared with all the uproar over battery/upload/GPS as well as opinions that the keyboard feels cheap. I can't decide which to get as each have their own advantages. At the moment I'm trying to decide which advantages can be ignored.*

So I visited a local Sprint store today, with two goals....

1) See if they've got Epic's/Evo's in stock (they had both)
    2) After reading about them for months, to finally feel them both in my hand.

I have to admit, when closed the Epic feels more like a phone and better in my hand. The Evo just feels like a thin brick. Did anyone else feel this way and get used to it? Does the fact that I'll also buy a new bluetooth eliminate this as an obstacle?

The original reason I jumped on the Epic bandwagon was the keyboard/swype. Has anyone installed SlideIT on their EVO? I imagine it's operative, but how did it feel? It doesn't look as visually shinny, but does it function well? I still typed faster on the Epic keyboard but I hear swype/SlideIT takes some practice to strongly appreciate.

The assistant that helped me immediately suggested the Epic over the Evo, but I assume that's due partially to price. I informed him about the problems many, many people are having online with the Epic and he claimed he's never experienced any of those. Honestly I feel like I should take his opinion with a grain of salt though-no offense to him.

It basically comes down to HTC quality V. Samsung features (except TouchWiz V. Sense, WOW TW sucked in comparison). IF the Epic worked correctly I'd say it was a better phone for my needs, but it seems the Evo was simply built better.

Also, got some information on 4G expansion in the Fresno, Ca area. Is there a specified forum/thread for this?

Advertisement
  2. thumperyz69

thumperyz69 Well-Known Member

Here is your 4G thread: 4G thread

I can't answer your questions about the Epic but I will say after owning the EVO for almost 2 months now it is one *incredible* piece of electronics. I was worried about losing the physical keyboard. I love Swype and I can Swype faster than typing now.

I believe Sprint has a 30 day return policy. Try them both if you are unsure.

Good luck....

3. Never!?

Never!? Well-Known Member

We had our own 4g/WiMax thread on the EVO forums then some mod moved it to some other hole and now I dont update it at all. I was a huge Minnesota contributor but decided not to do anything with it anymore.

As for the Epic vs EVO. Both have their problems and I know EVO has gotten theirs hammered out pretty fast. 3 or 4 major update in the last few months. Pretty good. I hear Samsung is horrific with updates and phone backing after it's released.

I love the EVO's solid build, no moving parts to break or wear down. It feels sturdy.

The screen and camera on the epic is better by a long shot on the Epic.

4. icereignblack

icereignblack Active Member

I was in the market to get an Epic but I went with the Evo aftering owning the Samsung moment and Samsung dropping development for the phone within less then 7 months of its release. It was also plague with problems from the beginning that they had no intentions of fixing. I also believe the the developing community for the Evo is a hell of a lot bigger for the Evo then it will ever be for the Epic.

So if you are looking to root your phone it will probably be in your best interest to get the Evo. Or at least wait a few months after the Epic release to see what Samsung plans for the phone.