Visual VM not connectingGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Renegade21

Renegade21 Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,

I've had my Eris for less than a week and every morning when I wake up (Eris is charging all night), there is a notification from Visual Voicemail saying there is activity.

I click on it and it says "Retry retrieving messages" and there are no messages there. This is aggravating to do every day. So for some reason it seems that is isn't connecting to the VM server. But I don't get why this only happens when it is charging all night? Also, my e-mail (G-mail) seems like it isn't syncing at night either..

Anybody?

Advertisement
  2. Renegade21

Bump.. can anyone help me?

3. Renegade21

btt...

4. Mach VIII

Mach VIII New Member

First time posting here & I don't have an answer. I have the same problem w/ the Visual VM too. It's annoying & I don't understand it. I've never had VVM before but decided to try it out when I got the Eris a few weeks back. The service seems like a nice one - but the constant notifications about not connecting, etc. are kind of spoiling it.

I'm also wondering if the Ver. VVM application is keeping my phone awake unnecessarily. I've come across a few references to people deleting (??) that from their phones, but I don't really understand the implications - especially since I'm paying to have VVM every month.

Maybe this bump to top will help generate an answer/attention.

5. Renegade21

Wow, seriously, now one can help us with this question? I can't believe we are the only 2 to experience this. I would really appreciate it guys.

6. cdeen

cdeen Active Member

I have the same problem with my Visual Voice Mail, but not all the time. I get random notifications saying VMM can not connect.

I don't know how to fix it, but thought if there were others expressing the same problem someone might offer advice.

7. rigamrts

rigamrts Well-Known Member

i get the same thing but not everyday tho. remember this is verizon bloatware when has a verizon app ever worked correctly.

8. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

I think it is just a courtesy notice - folks that live in poor signal areas probably would like to know if their phone "tried calling in, but couldn't connect". That gives them an opportunity to try to walk around and find a good signal, and manually check for VMs.

Having said that, I get the same message, and my phone sits overnight in a location with very good EVDO signal (3 bars minimum, usually 4), so perhaps there is a bug of some sort being expressed.

Next time it happens, I'll run an experiment to see if Visual VM stops trying to retrieve VMs after it issues that warning. If it continues to try, I'm not going to lose any sleep over seeing that message.

If it bothers you, contact the developer through the Marketplace and let them know - probably what they will do in a future release will be either: (a) simply stop giving a notice that a problem occurred, or (b) make it a program option where you can decide whether to see those messages (or not).

eu1

9. Mortgage_It

Mortgage_It Well-Known Member

i have been getting this same problem. i have no idea what is causing it. happens during the day too. very strange. i'm thinking of cancelling the feature and save the 2.99 per month too!

10. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

It's just a courtesy message telling you that one time out of the innumerable times it polled your voicemail to see if anything was there, it didn't connect. That's all it is - really.

Today I went some place and threw my phone in the vehicle's glovebox (not the best reception in there); when I pulled it out of there later, there was one of those messages. So I went and dialed my phone from a landline, let it ring and roll over to VM... and without doing anything (for instance starting up Visual VM or doing a manual refresh) to the Eris, Visual VM picked up the voicemail. So it is apparent that that little message doesn't mean that something fatal has happened - just that it failed to connect one or more times out of the umpteen times it tried.

As I mentioned, there are probably folks that want to know that such a thing has happened, for instance people that are scared to death they might (gasp!) miss a voice mail. They regard the behavior that you are worried about as a feature, not a bug.

eu1

11. DocTauri

DocTauri Well-Known Member

The stock visual voicemail sucks. I've gotten the error you're describing, as well as the "can't connect while wi-fi active" message. All that and you get the pay $2.99/mo., what a deal!

To get around it, I created an account on youmail (Visual Voicemail For Your Phone | YouMail), then downloaded the YouMail app from the marketplace. It's free and works much better, plus you get the ability to customize your VM (i.e. different messages based on who's calling, etc).

Doc