Visual Voice-Mail on the Desire

Last Updated:

1. lob

lob Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi, FIRST POST! :)
    I really really like the look of the Desire, but I'm unclear as to weather it has Visual Voice-Mail, like on the Nexus?...
    Don't they call it something like... Google Voice...?
    Anyway, ya know what I mean?... Is that built into the Desire?
    I know you can get apps for it but is the cool thing where the phone automatically turns the voice message into text built into the Desire?

Also, I'v seen lots of Nexus-like voice-to-text keyboard apps on this forum...
    Do they use the same technology as the Nexus One and do they too require a data connection?

Many Thanks
    Liam O'Brien

:D

Advertisement
  2. lob

52 views and no answer?!
    Come on Desire owners!
    :D lol

3. runamonk

runamonk Well-Known Member

There are some apps for visual voicemail. The desire doesn't come with one right out of the box though.

I don't think any of the suppliers in the UK will be including visual voicemail.

I haven't really missed this feature since moving from the iphone.

4. tbl

tbl Well-Known Member

Frankly Visual Voicemail is a bit of a gimmick. A neat little feature, but nothing to write home about.

Many vanilla voicemail providers allow you to receive voicemail as text or email, which is giving you the 'visual' aspect

Google Voice is invite only, US only - unfortunately, as it's a cool product

5. eske

eske Well-Known Member

I though visual voice mail was dependant on what Operator you used.

Here in Ireland I think vodafone do it but O2 don't ... not sure about Meteor

There are services like spinvox in the UK that do transcription of email and sms ... i believe ... but unfortunately there's no one providing that service here either.

yeah the sooner google get the finger out and google voice is available worldwide the better

6. rodhull

rodhull Member

Google Voice only works in the US I think.

The best third-party one I've found for UK use is Phone Fusion Visual Voicemail (it's free to download and use from the Android Market).

Once it's all set up, you receive an SMS each time a voicemail is left for you - this forces the app in the phone to update and retrieve the message automatically. It hooks into your phonebook so the person who left it has their name and picture displayed - an audio file can be played instantly either via the earpiece or speaker.

As well as this (if you've set this bit up) an e-mail is sent with the same details and a .wav attached for you to listen to.

It all works really well for me - I had a little trouble initially where I was only getting the e-mail notification but not the SMS/app auto-update but a number of messages backwards and forwards to/from their support ticket system sorted it out for me within a few days.

Since I'm a T-Mobile customer (who charge you to access their own regular voicemail and it's not included in your free minutes) I now have 100% free voicemail since it's all handled over data which is free on my plan...

Highly recommended!

7. lob

Ah... Cool!
    Thanks guys....... This is a good forum! :D

8. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Yep google voice is USA only atm, and its sill invite only there, so no idea when it will arrive here. Which is a shame because google sent me an invite, which i cannot use :(