Visual Voicemail - 3 questionsSupport

Last Updated:

1. WizeGuyDezignz

WizeGuyDezignz Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have 3 questions about Visual Voicemail in the Incredible.

1. Is the Visual Voicemail that's in the phone the correct one, or do I need to download the app? It seems when I get a Visual Voicemail, it is showing up in with my text messages. Is that how it's supposed to work or is there supposed to be a separate app?

2. Is it just me, or do people who leave messages sound mechanical? The few voicemails that I've received so far sound terrible. They sound like their voices are synthesized or something. When I talk on the phone, people sound totally normal.

3. Do I even need to pay the $2.99 per month that I am paying Verizon for this service? Or is there a free app available that does the same thing?

Thanks!

Advertisement
    blake247 likes this.
  2. FierceDeityLink1

FierceDeityLink1 Well-Known Member

Google Voice is better and free, but it is currently invite-only.

Also, a lot of people use YouMail.

3. WizeGuyDezignz

I have Google Voice. What do I need to do to get Visual Voicemail from it? Do I need to give everyone my Google Voice number?

4. FierceDeityLink1

FierceDeityLink1 Well-Known Member

You can use Google Voice only for its voicemail if that's what you want. It will simply take over Verizon's voicemail service whenever someone calls. You can also give your GV phone number to people and have a few more features (like call screening and blocking). Google Voice

WizeGuyDezignz likes this.
  5. MedfordMan

MedfordMan Well-Known Member

I bought an invite yesterday and am positive Google Voice is the way to go. I chose the "lite" version, so to speak, meaning that I didn't want or need the GV number.
    Make sure that you download the app after setting everything up. I didn't realize that until asking around.
    You can choose to have the visual vm sent anywhere, basically. It's pretty sweet.

6. Rubik76

Rubik76 Well-Known Member

1. The Visual Voicemail app that is integrated into the phone (green icon) will play Verizon voicemails if you subscribe to the Visual Voicemail service ($2.99 / month). You can also use the Verizon program (blue icon), although it tends to be glitchy. EDIT: I just launched the VZW VM app, and got prompted to uninstall it and use the integrated one.

2. I haven't really noticed that.

3. There are other VVM apps out there. I don't believe they are free, but you can certainly look into them. I'd go to www.androlib.com and search for "visual voicemail".

7. BiggShooter

BiggShooter Active Member

I've been wondering the exact same thing in regards to QUESTIONS 1 & 3. I downloaded the VZW Visual Voicemail application and tried to install it without any success. I did check SETTINGS~APPLICATIONS~MANAGE APPLICATIONS and noticed two visual voicemail apps, one being HTC Corportaion Visual Voicemail app and VZW Visual Voicemail app. I can't delete the HTC Corporation Visual Voicemail app.

If I am not using the VZW Visual Voicemail app, can I call Verizon and cancel the $2.99 per month subscription and still use the HTC Visual Voicemail application for free??

Thanks!

8. CatsTide

CatsTide Well-Known Member

my vote goes for free youmail

9. WizeGuyDezignz

Cool, Google Voice worked like a charm, I love it! The only thing is that I'm now getting two notifications when I get a voicemail. How do I turn the stock phone one off? Thanks!

10. WizeGuyDezignz

Any info on turning off the stock Visual Voicemail? Also, can I get rid of my $2.99 plan from Verizon now that I use Google Voice?

11. Akitakoi

Akitakoi Member

To Turn Notifications off I just opened Voicemail, Green one. and hit menu>settings and turned off all the notifications, seems to have worked.

12. JF-08

JF-08 Member

I was wondering the same thing.

The HTC VVM is preloaded.

Do I have to subscribe to Verizon's $2.99 / month to use this?

13. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Yes. That's why most people are trying to get invites to Google Voice or using Youmail instead.

14. INTREPID-NY

INTREPID-NY Well-Known Member

15. smarblewnec

smarblewnec Member

I am also having a problem where the Verizon Visual Voicmail sounds distorted and awful. Sometimes it is fine and other times it gets very loud and I can't tell what the person is saying. It seems to be a glitch because if I restart the message it is usually fine for most of it and then goes back to loud/distorted toward the end.

16. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

#3 google voice and ribbit mobile will accomplish a free VV. I use both, google voice is easier to use but ribbit blows it out of the water with the transcriptions. Even when my friends try to sound gangsta it seems to work.