• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Visual Voicemail - Messages from Dead Loved One

Puddin422

Android Expert
Jun 17, 2010
I have a phone with visual voicemail, and I have about a dozen messages from my brother who passed away in March. What are my options for permanently saving these messages, beyond the use of this phone? I'm picking up my new Epic next week.

I'll just leave them on the phone if I know for sure that when I cut off service to this phone to activate the Epic, the messages will still be on the phone.

I do know this - I tried putting my phone in airplane mode and was still able to retrieve messages in Visual Voicemail. Does that mean that when the phone is deactivated, I can still access them??

Thank you for your help.

Sorry for your loss.. I think the messages are saved on your phone until you delete, restore, etc. If you deactivate the phone, it will be the exact same thing it was, just with no service. You might want to call your carrier and see if you can retrieve more them. I would take screenshots of the phone and save the pictures of the messages to a hard drive. That way you can view them how they originally were sent if your phone ever crashes, breaks, etc.

Upvote 0
I think the messages are saved on your phone until you delete, restore, etc.

I think they are too, but many voicemail systems wil automatically delete them after a period of time.

My advice is to get those off as quick as possible to avoid losing them. The easiest way is to take a headphone 3.5mm cord, and run it into a recorder or an input on your pc. You can use recording software on your pc to record the sound.

You can try contacting your carrier, but I doubt they have any control over that. Usually the voicemail systems are outsourced to a separate company, and for them to locate a few voicemails may be difficult if not impossible.

Upvote 0
The safest bet is forwarding all your important voicemail messages to your email account. Since you mentioned Epic, I assume you are currently using Sprint's Visual Voicemail. While playing back your voicemail message, tap on the Menu, it has an option "Forward". Then enter your email address there and tap "Send".

Upvote 0
There is no menu or forward button. So I googled for a screen shot to show you, and came up with one that showed a different version. It showed a "Re/Fwd" button where mine only shows "reply." So I tapped that button just to see, and it takes me to a screen to select reply or forward. Yay!!

(here's that screen shot)

samsung-instinct-hands-on-final-059-sm.jpg

So I told it to forward to my e-mail, but after an hour or two, they have not shown up yet. Any idea what I might need to do to get them??

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones