• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Just get a Google Voice number. For it to really work well you will want to have a gMail account and have all of your contacts in gMail. In GV you choose a phone number and you just give that to people. On your computer you log into your GV account and go into settings and make sure you list your Droid phone number and whatever other phones you have if any. When someone calls your GV number any phones you input on your computer in GV (settings) will all ring at the same time. Or you can specify which phone will ring for each contact. Like I want all my phones to ring (home, cell 1 and cell 2) if my Mom calls but if my friend calls maybe I only want cell 2 to ring. You can record a different message for each contact or set a default and only assign a special one for certain people. When your phone rings you can answer, send straight to VM, listen to the person leaving message and connect in at any time, record the call and so many other things.

I dont know what people mean by forwarding their number to GV. Its all just done automatically.

When you get the Droid you download the Google Voice app from the market place and if you have already input your gmail account info for mail and contacts on Droid your Google Voice app will already be set up. The first time you open app, it will ask you if you want to always use your Google Voice number when making calls or do you want to be shown an option screen to decide if you want the person you are calling to see your GV number or your actual Droid number or if you dont want to use it at all. IMO the best is to always use Google Voice number. When you get a GV voicemail you will get a notification. You open the GV app and you will see a typed transcript of the message and you can tap play and hear it. You will also see the name or phone number who left you the message.

I think it's an awesome service and the main reason I love the Android platform. You can use GV on the iPhone and Pre but it's not so seamless and perfect. Maybe it is on BB because Google made app but I havent tested it.

BTW - if you made it to the end I have two invites left for GV. PM me with your email and I will send you invite.

Upvote 0
I just got the invite and when I click on it and sign in to Google I am asked if I want to use my current number or get a Google number. I am thinking I want to choose the get a Google number option but just want to be sure before I click it.

Thanks

They have updated the system so you have the option of using your existing cell number for google voice, or using a new number. It really depends on if you want to give out a new phone number or not.

I chose a google voice number because I was able to pick out my own number and make it something easy for me to remember. :D

Upvote 0
Can someone point me to some information on the more advanced used of the Google Voice features that can be used with a phone like this? I only have basic knowledge of GV, and would like to know more about the voicemail forwarding and potentially using GV for calls rather than my minutes.

[removed] (Thanks dmodert66 for Google Voice invite)

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Also, if anyone of you who have said you have invites still have one available, I would appreciate an invite. My username here @gmail.com ... I'll update this if someone helps me out so I don't get multiple invites.

Thanks.

Sent...

Sorry I can't help with advanced features...I havn't messed with it too much yet...I plan to once I get a Droid though...

Upvote 0
Hey guys, new to the forum but I have been reading about the droid for about a month now and am definitely planning to wait in line at 6 am come Friday morning. Anyway, I want to have visual voicemail and I would like to try Google Voice. I have requested an invite from google with no luck so far, so if anyone has an extra I would greatly appreciate it. :) Email is elduvall7@gmail.com Thanks!!

-eL

Upvote 0
[removed] (Thanks dmodert66 for Google Voice invite)

NP...Glad I could help...I was PMed by others that needed an invite, so mine are gone now...I'm sure for those looking for an invite, one of the people on this forum will give one. This is the best Android forum I have found, and everyone is really friendly...

I'm not sure if it is permitted, but perhaps someone should start a "Google Voice" invite thread in one of the main forums and hopefully the mods will sticky...Then people that have invites could post there, as well as people who are needing invites...

Upvote 0
Verizon said they were leaving this phone completely open so that should mean you can download the Google Voice app from the Android Market. If you have GV you can now have your main number forward all voicemail calls to GV so you can get VVM for free through GV.

I wouldn't pay the $2.99 if you have GV.

Upvote 0
Anyone tried this app on the market : HulloMail?

Hullomail is a free and easy way to access and manage your voicemails and bring them to life as “voice-emails” in your email, your mobile or on the web, no matter which operator we use.

Download the app and get access to your voice-emails in a single view, and see who is calling you from your phone or Gmail contacts.
Isn't this Visual Voicemail? :)

Upvote 0
Has anyone gotten the "activate google voicemail on this phone" feature to work correctly?

I set it up like in the instructions and when someone calls my VZW number instead of going to my GV voicemail it just forwards the call to my GV phone number causing my other phones linked to the account to ring. GV voicemail eventually picks up, but only after like 12 rings...

Does this feature not work with other phones attached to the account or is there some other option I need to make it go straight to voicemail instead of ringing my other phones?

Upvote 0
Can anyone help me answer how Google Voice works? is it a VOIP type call program or does it somehow come out of your minutes or what? :)

Google Voice

Watch the second video. It's just a phone number that forwards calls to other phone numbers (e.g., your cell phone, house phone, work phone, etc.). It will also keep track of voicemails and sms sent to the google voice number, and it gives you the ability to make phone calls from the google voice number you choose. It has other features too, but that's the basic gist.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones