• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Vitria kernel source

It's good that Huawei complied with the GPL, that's what we like to see. :) Most of this is the Linux kernel, plus some drivers and other things rather than the whole of Android. But now anyone can study and use it, and see what Huawei have done to it. Which is the whole idea of the GPL. :thumbup:

BTW if anyone does come across a GPL violation, and the source code is unavailable, especially from a large multinational like Huawei. Can always contact the FSF, who'll more than likely want to take action themselves.
https://gnu.org/licenses/gpl-violation.html

Upvote 0
What can I do with that, since I'm new to Android. Is that how I install a plain bare-bone Android JellyBean 4.1.2 for that phone without all the MetroPCS crap?

Not really no.
"this kernel file is just for ROM developers and do not used to upgrade your moblie phone as the firmware,which may make your phone totally dead."

Huawei have only released the source code for the Linux kernel as used on the Vitria, which they were obliged to under the terms of the GPL. As for the rest of the particular flavour of Android running in this phone, that's proprietary, source code is not available. But it should make it easier for ROM devs though, they can study what Huawei have done and incorporate it into any ROMs that they might want to make for this phone. That's what would be needed to install a bare-bone vanilla Jellybean 4.1.2, some devs would have to make one.

You can remove the carrier bloatware by rooting it without changing the ROM. Rooting details are here...
http://androidforums.com/vitria-all-things-root/789543-vitria-info.html

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones