1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Vlingo in car wakeup voice command, does it work for you?

Last Updated:

1. mpovolo

mpovolo Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Trying to get my bluetooth headset to activate vlingo in car and use the wakeup command to send sms using voice. It seems to only work when i turn the screen on manually

Advertisement
  2. Draiko

Draiko Well-Known Member

Same here. That's pretty much my main gripe with vlingo. Other gripes are that it doesn't quite have the scope of Google voice actions (Voice Search).

3. reinbeau

reinbeau Klaatu barada nikto VIP Member

Yep, Vlingo only works for me if I activate it manually, rather defeats the purpose. I also don't like the fact that I have to manually dial numbers, it just doesn't work right.

4. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

Odd, I've never had a issue with Vlingo and I use InCar all the time. I've had InCar running in my office for the last 5 minutes and the screen as not shut off on me either. It is designed to be a car dock type of app and isn't designed for you to leave the InCar screen. If your screen is turning off or you are going into other apps then it isn't going to work.

As for Bluetooth, have you looked at the setting for InCar? There is a launch on BlueTooth option, but it only turns InCar on. You can use voice commands via BlueTooth unless you are on 2.2.

In settings, do you have Wake Up Command checked? Next to that setting do you have Only on While Charging checked?

On the main InCar screen you should see a little red dot in the upper right hand corner, this tells you that Wake up is working.

So far I've been thrilled with the app. It really helps me keep my hands off the phone when I'm behind the wheel. I make and receive calls and texts while keeping my car in my lane. The only time I don't use it is when I'm listening to podcasts, music or a hockey game in the car.

5. Rambler358

Rambler358 Well-Known Member

6. dswartze

dswartze Member

I just recently started using Vlingo In Car and have the same problem: not responding to wake up command. Occasionally it will work the first time. I wonder if it has something to do with my BT headset, a BlueAnt Q1.

7. Stuntman

Stuntman Well-Known Member

I only use it with my BT headset. I press the button on the headset to activate it and then can speak my commands. I haven't tried the option where it constantly listens. It says it uses more battery, so I don't use it.

8. lfaust58

lfaust58 New Member

Greetings--

This from the Vlingo Support area on the Vlingo site:
    When I say "Hey Vlingo" Vlingo InCar" does not respond"

* Speak into your phone's microphone - the wake-up word will not work through a Bluetooth headset

Larry

9. xswind

xswind Member

Same issue for me, will only wake up after a double tap :-(
    Actually the only really disapointing thing about this phone so far

10. gaalfred

gaalfred New Member

I have a Samsung Captivate and just got a bluetooth headset. I downloaded Vlingo so I could use the headset to make calls hands free so the DOT Gestapo wouldn't fine me $2750 for holding or touching my phone. I find that if I press and hold the 'call' button on the headset 3 times in a row, Vlingo wakes up and asks me 'what would you like to do'? I can then tell it to call, text, search, etc, and it does what I ask. The problem I have is that it then keeps my phone screen on and runs down my battery. There should be an option that allows the screen to time out as usual. I understand from another poster that this app expects the phone to be in a docking station, but I want it in my pocket. I may have to plug it into my charger every time I get in the truck, but don't want to.

11. scrannel

scrannel Well-Known Member

Recently installed Vlingo to use with a BT speaker. Tap the speaker "talk" button and it activates Vlingo In Car. Problem I was having is I would give it a couple of voice commands and then it would stop "listening". Was told by support it would not work on 2.2. But I unchecked "USB debugging" and now it works perfectly. I am on T-mo USA 2.2.1.