• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

zuben el genub

Extreme Android User
Jan 24, 2011
The spammers that bypass the phone call and spam directly to voicemail are starting up again.

I got 2 of those calls yesterday - phone did not ring, but number appeared in missed calls. One number was listed in 1800Notes. I don't have VM. I had TMO turn it off so I can't say what one message was.. I've always used missed calls. It affects all phones. The Vulcan gets them on his flip phone. If you have a per use charge for VM and messages, this is not good. Cellcos apparently can't do anything since call numbers are spoofed.

Here's the VM from one:
4079343821 is a landline #. Reply Y to send all TXT messages to this # as voice messages for 0.25/msg. + std msg fee. Details @ vtext.com, TexttoLandline (From 1800N0tes)

Someone here explained how this worked. I've blocked this number, but if it's spoofed, blocking won't help. Is there a text blocker that could sort and blacklist these by other criteria rather than number?

I do that. I'm just warning since it's a weird form of spam. Not hearing the phone and finding spam in your voicemail can drive some crazy. The Vulcan uses an Alcatel 768 Flip. He gets them. I had to find out how they did it to satisfy the Vulcan.

If you have a senior citizen on your plan, you don't want them responding since they might just assume they missed a call.

Your phone does NOT ring. The message usually just appears in Voicemail. I don't have voicemail, I used missed calls. Since I don't use VM, VM can't answer and the call will appear in missed calls.

I didn't like paying for airtime just to hear some salesman's BS, so I never checked it, even when I had it. I had the carrier remove it from my phone a couple of years ago. Haven't missed it.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones