• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

VM Triggering on Hospital Reminder Calls

astrobill

Dec 15, 2009
All:

Here's a weird issue...

My doctor's office has an appointment computer that calls with appointment reminders. When one picks up, it plays a message and asks you to press a number if one can accept responsibility for the appointment. If you don't pick up, it's supposed to try again later.

Well....my Sprint/Hero voice mail is somehow picking up whenever these robocalls come in, even if I'm not around to pick up the call. It's triggering the hospital computer to leave a recorded version of the "...if you can accept responsibility for the appointment on such and such a date..." message. This behavior never happened with my old RAZR...with that phone, the computer would keep trying to call until someone physically picked up the call on the phone.

Any ideas what's going on here?

- Astro

that's correct. there's actually a setting in the dialer that determines how it "determines" whether it's reached a voice mail or a person. that setting can be different things depending on the actual dialer, and is usually determined on some sort of timing of the greeting of the person answering ie. if you say "hello" probably a person, if you say "hello, you've reached so and so and i'm not here but leave a message" then it's probably a voice mail. it could be voice mail related if you've a) changed messages or b) possibly changed from sprint voice mail to google or something, but it's not phone related at all.

Reactions: astrobill
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones