vmail notification requiring data access?Support

Last Updated:

1. xevious

xevious Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I try to keep my data access to a minimum, so I switch it off when not in use. But I started noticing something rather annoying...

When I get a call and it goes to voicemail, my phone's LED will flash green but I won't get any audible notification. If I turn on data, I'll suddenly get notification sounds and the voicemail will be downloaded to the phone for off-line listening (I don't have to dial into vmail).

I can't seem to find any information about how this is controlled... Certainly there should be a way to be notified of a voicemail message without being data connected??

I checked the manual and there wasn't any reference to needing a data connection to be notified of a voicemail message. In the settings, I have specified a notification sound for voicemails.

Advertisement
  2. KitsapAndroid

KitsapAndroid Well-Known Member

I turn my data off at work since we have wi-fi if I need it. I've found that Sprint's VVM requires some kind of data connection to download it to the phone. Without that it just holds the new voicemail in the system and you can dial into the VM system to retrieve it. It still notifies you technically, since you get the notification that you have VM pending. In fact, just clicking on the notification will dial you straight to your VM.

3. xevious

xevious Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

That's just it--while holding onto the new voicemail, I do not get any kind of audible notification. The only indication of voicemail pending is a status message. No sound, despite having sounds attached to all types of notifications.

I guess the Android platform uses a different voicemail system than on other phones. I had an LG Lotus before. If I got a voicemail, there would be an audible notification of it being left as soon as the caller finished recording.

I can appreciate what Android has to offer... I like how voicemail is downloaded to the phone for easy listening without having to dial into voicemail. But I don't understand why they couldn't have allowed for some kind of notification without requiring data access.

What's weird is that when I first turn on data access and go into the voicemail application, it tells me I have voicemail that cannot be downloaded. And yet... a few moments later, it downloads the messages.