VNC Server for Droid ErisGeneral

Last Updated:

1. porky101

porky101 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

If anyone has jailbroken their iPod Touch or iPhone you know that you can get an app called Veency, that allows you to set up a vnc server on your iPhone and be able to view and control your iPhone via a TightVNC client on your computer.

Is there an app for that for the Andorid software, whats it called and would I have to root my device? I have an HTC Droid Eris.

Advertisement
  2. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

Unfortunately the Eris has not been rooted yet, so we will have to wait and see, but yes you probably have to have root access to run something like that.

3. deman89

deman89 Well-Known Member

Nope two options, AndroidVNC which conncects to a VNC server for free, and PhoneMyPC which has its won client : )

4. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

I stand corrected.:)

5. porky101

I dont want to view my pc on my android. I want to do it the other way...view and control my android on my pc.

6. pkopalek

pkopalek Well-Known Member

Right, VNC Viewers are plenty. I use them several times per week.

A VNC Server is something else. I'm going to look around, because that would be pretty interesting. I bet it's possible without root.

7. porky101

or just something i can use that will make it eaiser to take a video of my android phone without having to use a camera. i heard of something where you plug your phone into computer via usb or something and use that.....can u do that and use it as an "external capture device" or something?

8. pkopalek

pkopalek Well-Known Member

It looks like some people have VNC Server software running on Dev phones, but not very reliably or functionally as a practical matter.

I would expect to see this work in the coming months. There is a demand for it. Having root and running some linux commands might get you there right now, on a rooted phone. Hard to tell by reading the forum posts they have.

But certainly nothing you can download and use at this point. Not that I can find! I hope someone can prove me wrong.

9. MisterMcGoo

MisterMcGoo Well-Known Member

Another alternative to VNC server is freenx. I'm not sure if this is available for Android but it is available on most Linux distributions and I've used it on Red Hat and CentOS doing a simple yum install. There is also a free MS windows client you can download and use. I've found it to be much faster than VNC server. Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone has any experience using it. The only drawback I have seen is that it uses DSA encryption keys for SSH, not RSA leaving freenx somewhat less secure than VNC.

10. coop26

coop26 New Member

don't know if this is what you are looking for, but "mobile defense" allows you some control of your phone from your cpu, and allows you to see where the phone is with its GPS. I found it in the market

11. SoftwareForMe.com

SoftwareForMe.com Active Member

Argh! When we first conceived of PhoneMyPC, our dream was to have bi-directional control, so you could control your PC with your phone (which we have accomplished), and you could control your phone from your PC (which we have not).

It turned out that Android's security model made this impossible (I DO hate that word, but we haven't found a way yet). Even the root kits that I know of don't make available what you need to write such an app.

I could get a copy of the Android source and hack it to make it work, but then only my custom-built applications would be able to do this.

I would very much like Google to add such an API; something that allowed whole-screen access and touch-input and hard-button simulation.

12. duffman1825

duffman1825 New Member

Any updates on this subject???

13. emerica243

emerica243 Well-Known Member

How about an rdp client to go from the eris to an rdp based sysetm