• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Vodafone 858 boot loop with no recovery installed

Kee20005

Lurker
Nov 20, 2011
Please can somebody help me.

I have a Vodafone 858 which had a software upgrade that didn't work. When I searched for info on this I stumbled across a thing called SmartLucky. "Hmmm" i thought, "that looks brilliant." I then tried to follow instructions on how to insatll it. I finally got to the point where I had rooted my phone and i followed the instructions on how to install the Clockworkmod over the top of the phones original recovery. The problem is I now appear to have wiped all recovery programs from the phone and it is in a boot loop. I have tried to follow instructions on how to install a recovery program on it but I just can't seem to get anywhere.

Please can someone give me some step by step instructions from installing the drivers needed all the way to switching my phone on and it working.

I am a total noob at this and any and all help would be very appreciated.

no probs,

my main problem was that i didn't have the correct drivers on my pc for it to recognise the phone while it was in recovery mode.

if this sounds like the problem you have then check out below. (This only works on PC not Mac os)

1 on google search "Android SDK Download".

2 when you are on the official page just follow their instructions to the letter up to the point where you have downloaded eclipse and are about to install the addons.

3 When you are selecting the addons look through them and find and select the Google usb drivers.

4 Once these have been downloaded and installed your pc will now recognise your phone in recovery mode.

5 after a quick search on google i found a download of a clockworkmod recovery zip file which was specific for the U8160, in it was the recovery img for clockworkmod, and an installer program among other things. (it was called something like installer-for-windows)

6 once you have found this, download and unzip it to your desktop

7 with your phone switched off and disconnected from the pc, hold the volume down button and the power button together for about 7 seconds, this should just leave an hour glass on the screen.

8 now connect the phone to the pc, you should hear the chime to tell you its connected.

9 if you have heard the chimes go into the folder you have unzipped and double click on the installer-for-windows icon. A cmd window should quickly flash on the screen.

10 now the moment of truth..... pull the battery out of your phone and leave it for about 10 seconds, put the battery back in. hold volume up and the power button. and hold until you see a new screen instead of just the hourglass.

the first time i did this, a screen came on with the android fella and a big exclamation mark behind him, after a mad panic i tapped the power button and the clockworkmod menu appeared.

hopefully this will happen to you too. if it does congratulations you can now put a new os on your phone (i recommend Cynolucky7) if not then I am really sorry but this is as far as my knowledge goes.

i truly hope this helps as I know how frustrating this is.

good luck

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones