Vodafone audio/video streaming issue

Last Updated:

1. westbros

westbros Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am on the brink of buying my first Android phone (HTC Desire) and have just stumbled across some postings about Vodafone's restrictions on streaming audio and video. I have read a few articles on this now, but I really don't understand exactly what the blocks apply to. It seems to apply to "RTSP" streaming, but I'm not clear about what this is and whether this just applies to live streaming, or also to recorded video such as clips on the BBC News site.

Does this apply only to Vodafone, or also to other networks? I was thinking of getting a new contract with Vodafone because the coverage with my current provider Orange in my area is very poor, and because Vodafone have the best price for the Desire. However if this streaming problem applies to all video on Vodafone, I may well pay a little more and go for O2. I don't know whether this would make any difference, but I will be going for an unbranded and unlocked phone through CPW.

Thanks for any advice and clarification you can give.

Advertisement
  2. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure it only applies to live streams. Pre-recorded streams don't use RTSP I don't believe.

3. westbros

westbros Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm bumping this thread back up again because I now am presented with the probability of buying a branded Desire from either 3UK or Vodafone.

Before I jump in I'd just like to find out whether this video issue with Vodafone still exists? Is streaming audio/video still blocked? And can any VF users pls advise whether it just applies to LIVE streaming audio/video? Or does it extend to recorded material too? Does FroYo make any difference?