Vodafone live: Only browser has Internet accessSupport

Last Updated:

1. jeenuv

jeenuv Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

I just bought a Tattoo in India and am happy for the most part of it (no 3G... err!). I enabled Vodafone Live GPRS. I noticed that only the browser (both the default and Dolphin) can access the Internet. Other applications, Google maps for example, isn't able to go online and fetch content. I've the "E" on the notification bar when I switch on GPRS. When I launch Google maps app, I can see the up-arrow blinking frequently indicating that it's trying to access Internet. However, the down-arrow blinks only and stays dormant there after. And I've to exit the app with it saying it requires a working data connection.

I rebooted the phone once but the problem still persists. Any clues as to why this is happening?

Thanks
    Jeenu

Advertisement
  2. jeenuv

jeenuv Member This Topic's Starter

Ah, I fiddled with my mobile network settings (changing MNC code et al.) and the entry got deleted. Now I've no Internet at all! Can somebody post the default settings for Vodafone Live please?

(By the way, I called up Vodafone customer care and I'm told that HTC isn't a device that's compatible with Vodafone, and they can't provide me with settings. Do they even know there's popular brand of that name? And Vodafone mobile connect is expensive for just mobile browsing. Looks like I've to switch my provider!)

3. street_hawk

street_hawk New Member

Hiii

Just send an sms to vodafone that will enable the free GPRS for 3 months with 20mb limit.

type Tattoo and send it to 111

chill dude

4. street_hawk

street_hawk New Member

this is the special offer for HTC Tattoo mobile.

5. dark1ro

dark1ro Well-Known Member

jeenuv. Vodafone from what country? India ?

6. babloo75

babloo75 Member

Here are the settings:

Name: Vodafone live
    APN: portalnmms
    PROXY: 10.10.1.100
    PORT: 9401
    server: HTTP://LIVE.VODAFONE.IN
    mms PROTOCOL: wap 2.0
    MCC: 404
    MNC: 11

7. lionking

lionking Member

To connect via other application i.e Non port 80 apps, you need to Activate Vodafone Mobile Connect.

The Rates are not as they have put in the Website nor their customer care claims.

Plan VMC25 -- 25 Rs per Month
    10 MB Data free and 5 ps per 10 KB after first 10 MB.

Plan VMC50 -- 50 Rs per Month
    35 MB Data Free and 5 ps per 10 KB after first 35 MB.

Steps to Activate.

Send SMS 'CAN VL' to 111 // To Cancel Vodafone life if u used a paid service as i did.

Send SMS 'ACT VMC25' or 'ACT VMC50' to 111 // To activate VMC on your mobile.

The request will be completed with in 24 hrs, It happened to me. Now almost everything works rite from market to maps on my Samsung Galaxy i7500.

Send SMS 'WWW' to 52586 to recieve your VMC Settings

8. Lee_Vodafone

Lee_Vodafone New Member

Hi Jeenu,

If you're still in need of some help with this I'd recommend heading over to the Tattoo section of our Help Centre here.

In terms of charges we only charge customers who don't subscribe to any of Mobile Internet bundles for the amount of data used with the charges not being dependent on which access point you use.

Thanks and if you need any further help just let me know.

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK

9. en7jos

en7jos New Member

Dear All,

Being as though this thread was a big help to me in finally getting the email, Google maps and other the other apps working on my shiny new HTC Legend on Vodafone prepay in India (Andra Pradesh), I thought I should share my solution!

The problem I had was exactly as described in the original post in this thread. My phone was set up with the Vodafone Live settings which allowed me to browse the internet quite happily. However, I could not send/receive email, Google Maps would not download the maps, and all my other apps could not refresh their data. I tried various versions of the Vodafone Live APN settings as listed in various posts, but none worked.

The solution is that you need to abandon Vodafone Live and instead use Vodafone Mobile Connect. I went into my nearest Vodafone shop to get them to do this. They will probably tell you that Mobile Connect is only if you want to connect your laptop PC to the internet via your phone, and whilst this is partly true, it also allows your phone to access services other than just the internet (i.e. email and for apps).

You may need to set up a new APN - the settings I used were:

Name: Vodafone Mobile Connect (but this can be anything you like!)
    APN: www

And that's it! All the other fields should be blank (including the proxy, port, username, password and server) or else just the default settings (for my phone this was MCC = 404, MNC = 13, authentication = none).

You need to wait a couple of hours for the service to be activated on your account by Vodafone, then turn the phone off and back on, then the little "E" symbol with the up and down arrows should hopefully appear, and there you go!

The downside is that Mobile Connect is more costly than Vodafone live. The prices given to me in the shop (this is in AP, India) was a monthly charge of Rs30 and a data charge of 10 paisa per 10kb. I guess this works out as cheap or expensive depending upon how much you use it.

Hope this helps other people get their HTC Androids working on Vodafone - their customer service isn't exactly much help!

Regards,
    James

10. sbmekathotti

sbmekathotti New Member

@lionking...
    Thanks a lot. This helped me in solving connectivity problems for google accounts on my new Samsung Galaxy S 9000. Great!

======
    Samsung Galaxy S I9000