Vodafone Locked?

Last Updated:

1. Ferox

Ferox Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi All Can the forum members who have a handset from vodafone let me know if they are locked? Seems to be a mix of locked and unlocked handsets! I am on O2 looking to buy a Legend!

Many thanks!

Advertisement
  2. Ferox

Sorry meant to ask if anyone has successfully had a Legend unlocked?

3. Dog_chops

Dog_chops Well-Known Member

Got mine from Vodafone on-line (UK website) it arrived with German language as default, but was unlocked.

4. Bootsock

Bootsock Well-Known Member

Mine works fine on o2 and Orange, can't say I've tried any other SIM cards though but I'm guessing they'll work too.

Sent from my HTC Legend using Tapatalk

5. MattHirst

MattHirst New Member

Got mine from Phones4U on Vodafone and came preset with German. When setting it up i found if you had the battery cover on,it was english but without it, it was in german. Look at the battery cover, there seems to be some sort of electrical contacts so that could be something to do with it, strange either way.

Anyway, mine works fine with my O2 sim which is a good job as Voda still haven't connected my sim after 5 days!

6. GeoffBot

GeoffBot Well-Known Member

Got mine from Voda shop; I put an o2 sim card in it and it wouldn't make calls but didn't say 'locked' or anything but I guess it is?

7. krifor03

krifor03 Member

ok so I believe theres two versions of Legends floating around. One vodafone branded and one not. I've had both. Vodafone branded version makes you do the set up in german, shows the vodafone logo after the HTC logo at boot up, and had duplicate vodaphone branded icons.

the non branded phone (the one i have now and LOVE!!!) does the set up in english, only shows the htc logo followed by "quietly brilliant" scrolling beneath. there are only android icons, and as far as i know these are the only Legends that can get the OTA SW update (my vodafone branded phone always said my SW was up to date)

I like the non-branded version WAY better

8. joshorilla

joshorilla Member

Sorry, decided to go offline :)

9. c_man

c_man Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that early batches were unlocked/unbranded.

The latter batches will be branded [splash screen when turning on and also a Vodafone branded scene... most likely locked too].

I've bought a Legend sim free/unlocked so I expect it will be completely free of any branding. Hopefully this means I can get OTA updates without any issues too.

10. SS26

SS26 New Member

I have a HTC Legend which starts up with the Vodafone branding, i inserted my O2 sim and it works to a point.
    I am able to send and recieve calls and text messages but am not able to connect to the internet (WAP) on the phone. However the internet on the phone does work via wifi.
    I have tried to get the WAP settings from o2 but when the text comes back with a message saying there is problems dealing with the request.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

11. Ferox

Yes you have to insert the o2 settings manually! Alternatively debrand the handset then your handset will be able to pick up the settings automatically!

12. Ferox

Goto
    Settings>wireless&Networks>Mobile networks>ACCESS POINT NAMES

Insert settings here!

13. Mr.Derringer

Mr.Derringer Well-Known Member

When i got my legend from vodafone, the set up was in english and the phone was fully branded to vodafone. it was locked to vodafone to, no other sims would work in it.

I have since debranded my legend and although it's a bit of a faff to do it, my legend is now awesome running Android 2.1 version 2.03.405.3

I'm so glad i did it too, more apps on the app store, no stupid vodafone branding, faster internet, better WiFi, stronger phone signal, better battery, better start up, unlocked...the works.

the only thing i haven't done yet is root my legend.

14. macnpaul

macnpaul Active Member

Been trying to do the same with no success, can you please post which guide you followed.

15. Mr.Derringer

I used the guide on the Unlockr site to create a gold card.

like i said it was abit nerve wracking but i done it without problem to my phone...the only issue i had was installing the required drivers for the legend, it destroyed my anti virus on my PC and took me a few hours to get my comp going properly again.

well, i say it was the drivers, i cant be sure but, it only happened whilst i was doing the gold card stuff. so beware

after the gold card i just installed the custom rom which took about 5 minutes.

i cant recommend it to people because it may or may not work or break your phone.

maybe i was lucky. if you do decide to do it just follow every step carefully and re-read everything.

(after using my phone for a day with the debrand, i must be honest and admit that the internet is probably just as fast as it was before, which is probably my vodafone contract's fault)

16. macnpaul

macnpaul Active Member

Did you follow the custom rom guide on Unlockr?

And did you install a 2.03 rom?

17. Mr.Derringer

ooops, sorry, i didn't mean to say custom, i meant i downloaded the unbranded, factory shipped rom. i aint got the link but i found it onthe XDA developers forum.

you could check if the HTC website offers roms to download, not sure

but yeah, basically, i done the whole process using the unlockr site guide and i got the rom from a link on the xda site.

macnpaul likes this.
  18. macnpaul

macnpaul Active Member